Mac Mini - HTPC - Memory - Question on Upgrading

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by dekinseattle, Jan 30, 2010.

1. dekinseattle macrumors newbie

I bought a new Mac Mini about 1.5 months ago to run as a HTPC - I use EyeTV (local HD Over the Air Antenna no cable) and Plex on it -

curious what ya'll's thoughts are on upgrading the memory on this ... I am current running this with the standard off the shelf out of the box 2gigs - every now and again I'll have issues while recording via EyeTV and trying to watch via Plex - EyeTV just seems to lock up and I have to do a Force Quit on it ... the recording is fine so I'm not "losing" anything - just annoying when it happens ...

and too I bought the Mini with the idea of memory upgrade once I had the $$ ...

so my question to ya'll is ... would upgrading to the max 8gigs be worth the $$ ... Ramjet's price difference between the 4gig and 8gig is roughly $300 more for the 8gig... is that really "necessary" - or would 4gigs be plenty???

I'm just not wanting to over spend on something that I don't have to ... you know ...

2. ReggaeFire macrumors 6502

8 gigs of RAM would be overkill for your current usage scenario, 4 gigs is plenty.