Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MWillis561

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Okay, so I've got a little bit of a problem/inquiring.

Right now I'm running an Apple TV into an HDMI switcher and then running that straight to my Vizio TV through HDMI. Everything works great (sound/audio).

So I'm looking to run my Mac Mini straight to my TV also so I can run a little more complex HTPC with Plex and other things. My problem occurs when trying to get the audio to my TV. On my Vizio I do not have any audio ports associated with a HDMI input. Basically if I want my video to come in through the HDMI port, audio will need to come in through that as well. I know that the mac mini can't output audio through the DVI since it doesn't support audio.

My question is, is there a device or receiver that will take a HDMI signal and optical audio signal, combine them, and output them into 1 HDMI signal which will go straight to the TV, both Audio and Video?

Please ask questions if you need more info.

MWillis561

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Yeah it looks like from the reviews that it doesn't work with mac's too well. Obviously with wanting to make this an HTPC setup I will need to find a solution that will work with a non compliant HDCP setup.

jbcandkc

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2006
I have a 40" Sony LCD and an old G4 Mac Mini. I have a Directv DVR plugged in via HDMI but I use a DVI to VGA adapter and a VGA cable to connect the Mini and a 1/8" mini plug for stereo audio. Works pretty good for what I use it for. Does your Vizio have any other inputs?

MWillis561

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
It has 2 composite, 2 component, 2 hdmi and 1 vga. The problem is, that it doesn't have any audio inputs that work with the hdmi inputs (which I would like to use do to the quality of HDMI.

Since it looks like I would have to spend some money on a box that converts DVI and toslink --> HDMI (and it doesn't even do a good job at that). I figure I might as well buy a cheap home theater speaker setup which should work perfectly with what I'm trying to do. I found the Sony CT100 which is has a small enough profile, good sound and a low price tag which should work perfectly.

If anybody else has any other good solutions I would love to hear about them. Thanks.

srexy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2006
It has 2 composite, 2 component, 2 hdmi and 1 vga. The problem is, that it doesn't have any audio inputs that work with the hdmi inputs (which I would like to use do to the quality of HDMI.

Since it looks like I would have to spend some money on a box that converts DVI and toslink --> HDMI (and it doesn't even do a good job at that). I figure I might as well buy a cheap home theater speaker setup which should work perfectly with what I'm trying to do. I found the Sony CT100 which is has a small enough profile, good sound and a low price tag which should work perfectly.

If anybody else has any other good solutions I would love to hear about them. Thanks.

I think you've come up with the best solution right there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.