Mac Mini HTPC

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by cisco697, Oct 26, 2009.

1. cisco697 macrumors newbie

cisco697

I am ready to make the switch. I have cut the $100 saltelite bill and I am ready to buy a dedicated mac mini. I was planning on buying the 2.0 C2D base model add ram and hdd but now they offer the 2.26 as the base.

So my dilema is: After doing the math, if i get the base model 2.26 ad ram at $80 for an extra $120 i get larger hdd 4 gigs ram already installed and a faster 2.53 C2D.

THe question I have for a plex, eyetv, htpc is it worth it? I am going to go today to get it and I need advice.

thanks

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

It'll do any of those by themselves, but might struggle if you try to do two at a time (e.g., playback of HD content while trying to record EyeTV). My 2 gHz C2D Mini could not multitask. That's why I build a quad-core hackintosh.

3. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

you sorta have to find the right balance for you.

I got the base model in the Spring. The higher end model is a bit better offer now that you get a faster processor too.

However, the low end is still a solid machine. I won't comment on how many things you can do with the mini as my TV tasks are are not so intensive.

4. VenomousSVT macrumors 6502

if it were me I would do the upgraded model to start off, go ahead and take the extra hit in $$ for a better starting machine. I agree with the responses in this thread also, the mini is a solid machine but its not gonna be a powerhouse so multitasking as an HTPC isnt gonna be magical on it. I think it will run plex on it just fine but on large HD movies you may have some lag issues if youre running something else in the background.

5. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

You can't duplicate the value of the 2.53/4GB model on your own... just get that model. It will handle 1080p with ease and allow other background tasks to run without compromising your viewing experience.

6. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

i plan to use mine when i get it to do the htpc thing but i also plan while i am away for it to rencode my anime into stuff that my ipod touch can use and to lower the size of the files so will that work

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

I made this call when buying my dad a mini recently; given the cost of adding 4GB of RAM yourself and how much a 320GB or 500GB hard drive will cost, the mid-range stock model is almost a wash cost-wise, and you get an extra 10% of processor speed plus don't have to get the thing open to work inside it (which, particularly for a HD swap, is a mild-to-moderate pain).

I went with the midrange--seems to be a good buy, and if you've got a borderline high-def video that extra bit of processor speed might even make the difference between stuttering and smooth playback. The extra RAM never hurts, either.

8. cisco697 thread starter macrumors newbie

cisco697

thanks for all the advice. I just ended up getting the $800 model and I love it. Now i Just have a few display settings that are bugging me.

9. VenomousSVT macrumors 6502

glad you got her up and running and are happy! congrats!!