Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tycheong

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
i've been thinking about getting a new mac
but i dont have an incredible amount of money to spend on one
and i thought about a mac mini...but is the mac mini actually worth getting?
the specs dont look very promising to me

also the imac is good
but when i make it to the specs
taht i want
it gets just too expensive
...even more expensive than the macbook pro

should i buy now
or just wait until they
make new versions on the macs?

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Don't underestimate the Mac mini. It is actually a fairly powerful machine. I think the 2 GHz model would be perfect for you, providing you don't do a whole lot of intensive things. (It can handle photoshop, iMovie, etc. and a few games, but don't expect it to be a Mac Pro.) :)

jroller

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
Charleston, SC
I think the mini is a good machine. I have two of them in my lab and have not had any issues with them. They run Photoshop and InDesign just fine. I don't, however, recommend them over an iMac, as I just think the iMac is a better value. I recommend the mini to those who already have a good monitor, as well has keyboard and mouse, and who are looking to spend a little as possible on a new machine. As such, it may be the best choice for you.

If you can save a few hundred more before making your purchase, then the iMac is a better choice, IMHO.

That said, you should also take a look at the refurbs Apple offers. Here you can often find a great deal. There is a link on the lower left-hand section of the Apple store home page.

G5power

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
If you are serious about the mini I would hold off for a few more weeks and see what comes from all of the rumors. The mini is way overdue for an upgrade. If you weren't focusing on the specs, you could probably snatch up a great deal on a current generation mini on the day that an upgrade is released.

As for the iMac being pricey when you bump up the specs, are you looking at Apples prices for RAM upgrades? Most people here on the forums would encourage you to buy your RAM from a 3rd party and install yourself. For example I bumped my iMac to 4GB for $60 after rebate. The actual time to install the RAM was probably 5 minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.