mac mini iOS question

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by perlsyntax, Nov 3, 2015.

1. perlsyntax macrumors 6502

I want to know if good idea to use a mac mini for iOS and mac programming with 1TB Fusion Drive and with 8 gb of ram?

2. perlsyntax thread starter macrumors 6502

Would 16gb be better for photoshop and my programming i know you can't upgrade it?

3. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

Sure
    16 GB of ram with 5400 rpm spinner over here

4. perlsyntax thread starter macrumors 6502

Is the 5400 rpm hard rive slow for you?

5. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

My personal opinion (not the person you asked but I'll provide it), a 5400 RPM drive has no place as an OS drive anymore. I was using a 2010 MBP with a 5400 RPM drive at work and it was AWFUL, my 2012 Mini came with a 5400 RPM spinner and it was a LITTLE better but there's just no comparison between that and an SSD. Now, having a spinning drive as a scratch disk or temporary holding location for stuff may not be too bad of an idea (that's what the spinner in my Mini is used for).

If I had to choose between getting an SSD or getting another 8 GB of RAM, I'd probably choose the SSD.

6. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

I find if manageable. Considered putting in a SSD many times. Considering the risk of breaking something, the trim issue which now seems solved though, the relatively expensive SSD I have not put in one yet. Sure you need more time to boot. But I code on it, multitask, listen to music, make screencasts etc. When you are about to buy a device the fusion seems nice though.

7. perlsyntax thread starter macrumors 6502

8. Celerondon, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015

Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

Nope.

Because they are both SSD based these two storage systems have similar performance. However, in spite of the fact that the difference is barely perceptible, the SSD is faster. :apple:

The advantage that a Fusion Drive has over an SSD is cost per gigabyte. Unless SSD prices decrease dramatically the magnitude of this $ advantage will remain comparable to the speed advantage that SSDs and FDs hold over HDDs.