Mac mini + iPad or MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Polekat, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Polekat macrumors regular

Polekat

My pc died a month ago, gonna jump to Mac when income taxes come in. I had initially been thinking of going laptop only, but now I'm not sure. Was leaning toward the 15" MBP, but started wondering if I should go with a Mac mini and iPad combo.

I (think) I would be able to use my current monitor and keyboard from my now dead pc for use with the mini.

My uses would be:
    • general internet
    • some photoshop for my amature photography (DSLR)
    • possible app development
    • some video editing

My calculations:
    Mac mini $700
    iPad 32GB WIFI $600
    Total = $1300

or

15" MBP $1800 (would hold off till after anticipated upcoming refresh)

Just looking for some opinions.
    What say you?

2. Photics macrumors regular

I think the Mac Mini / iPad combo would be better for App Development, because the iPad could be used for testing.

3. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Mac Mini and MBP are pretty much same, not worth getting. As said, Mac mini + iPad would be better since you can test your apps on it. And IMO iPad is much better for general tasks such as email, browsing, etc.

4. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

Here's my opinion

I got my MacBook Air because I wanted the most powerful & portable device.

Then, 6 months later the iPad came out. For what I do, I too have thought about the Mac Mini & iPad combo.

It depends upon what you do at home and what you want to do on the road. On the road, I basically just wind up surfing and checking email, with light word processing, so the iPad would be perfect for me. At home, where I don't need the portability, the mini again would be perfect, and slightly more powerful than the Air.

Since I wind up in hotel rooms in the evening, and the Marriots I stay at have TV's with video hook-ups, I have even thought about just packing a mini in my suitcase, and using that on the road.

5. Polekat thread starter macrumors regular

Polekat

Thanks for the thoughts. It is starting to look like maybe a mini and an iPad might be the way to go. I find my self sitting on the couch and web surfing on my iPhone more than my Dell mini 9" nowadays so an iPad would be even better. Now I guess I'll have to wait and see what the iPad 2 will have as well as the MBP update.

6. Bozola macrumors regular

After almost a year of iPad ownership, I can state the following.

My habits have come down to anywhere computing and dedicated computing.

Ipad is perfect for the former, big screen/iMac and a desk for the latter. Laptops don't fit my bill YMMV.