Mac mini + iPad vs. Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Fynd, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Fynd macrumors 6502

Hey all. I've done the computer shuffle so many times in the last year that it's ridiculous, but I'm potentially looking to do it one more time...

I currently have the 2010 mini and a 16gb WiFi iPad. I absolutely love the iPad and barely use the mini... but the reason for that being summer, once school starts up again in September that should change. I do programming in school. I'm questioning how effective the iPad will be for school mainly...

If i sold both i could pickup the 15" i5 MBP off the refurb store for roughly the same price (after selling my apple wireless kb/mouse with the mini) and then have the iphone 4 + mbp combo for school.

Argh. Should also be noted that i have extensive use of computer labs at school, so the need for a mobile workstation is more of a *potential* desire to be able to do school work outside of home wherever i want.

More of a ramble than anything here, haha, but I'm really torn!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would get 13" MBP as that's more portable than 15" is so it's closer to iPad. Of course if you need the power of i5, then get the 15" but 13" is a great computer too.

3. willieva macrumors 6502

You might want to consider waiting to see what your needs really are. Most people don't really need a laptop, a desktop and an ipad would be a better combination. You might find that programming on a laptop isn't as effective as sitting at a real keyboard with lots of glass in front of you. Or you might find that you really like to get away from it all to concentrate and a laptop is great.

You have a pretty good solution, just having the laptop might not be any better.