mac mini is no longer playing nice on the network

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by skerfoot, Oct 30, 2010.

1. skerfoot macrumors member

We've plugged a bunch of external hard drives into a Mac mini that we're using as a target for data backup. We have a number of computers, including a mac pro running OSX server, backing up to it daily. Well, they should be but they aren't any more.

Recently something has gone wrong with the Mac Mini connection to the network. It's physically in a different building, so I've been managing it using screen sharing. This is still working fine. But the afp connections, or the agent for the backup software (Chronocync) don't work at all for any of the user accounts, including the admin account. They can't find the machine at all, even though the screen sharing works.

I've restarted the mini a number of times, and that hasn't fixed the problem. The mini is really slow now too, in calling up the finder for the HDs or in trying to manage the system preferences. I'm wondering if there's a hardware issue underlying this somehow. We've had a number of power failures here... but I don't really know why that would kill the machine.

My next plan is to take the system apart and bring it back to our main building to try and figure out why it wont connect any more. Any trouble shooting ideas? Suggestions? I'm obviously not a pro, but for some reason I'm responsible for getting this working again.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. jerry333 macrumors member

jerry333

Not much information in your post, but it could be a DNS issue.

Try running:

scutil --dns
    scutil --get HostName
    scutil --get ComputerName
    netstat -rn
    ifconfig -a

And see if the answers look reasonable.