Mac Mini iTunes authorization???

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by flynz4, Feb 7, 2010.

1. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I have been contemplating getting a couple of ATVs, or Mac Minis for media display on televisions.

If I go the Mac Mini route (instead of buying ATVs)... will I need to authorize them against my iTunes store account? I am currently using all 5 of my iTunes authorizations and I cannot easily drop any of them. We are a family of 4, and we each have a personal MacBook/iPhone/MobileMe combo... plus we share an iTunes authorized 27" i7 iMac that keeps the original copy of all our media.

Believing that I would need to authorize a Mini against the iTunes store is the primary reason that I have not bought a Mac Mini or two... and I have not bought an ATV because of the poor ratings indicating it is ready for a hardware refresh (ex: tiny HDD size and no 1080P)

/Jim

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

you could use plex.
    there is a program called plex media server (PMS) that comes with it, by running that on a remote machine you can access it's itunes library, withough itunes running (although the computer does have to be powered up). It can play DRMed songs purchased from iTunes, as long as the computer running PMS is authorized to play the song.

I've tried briefly to get video sharing working from itunes using plex media server, but haven't had much luck, I don't need this as my main video files are not in itunes so i haven't tried too hard.

3. flynz4 thread starter macrumors 68040

The 27" iMac is turned on 24/7. The four laptops are on/off on an irregular schedule.

Does Plex ship with the iMac, or is it something that I would purchase/download separately?

/Jim

4. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

You download it from plexapp.com. While a bit more work than just plugging it in and turning it on, Plex is very nice. I just started using it last week and I love it. The setup and user interface are a bit more graceful with the ATV, but the Plex/Mini trounces it everywhere else. I regret waiting this long to give up on Apple updating the ATV and buy a Mini.