Mac mini keeps kicking MBP off airport wireless.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hot Snowboarder, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

I have an airport extreme creating a wireless network to share internet, printer and HDD with my MBP and mac mini.

It's got all the default settings. Share single IP address with NAT etc. My MBP works fine until i switch on the mini, whereupon the mini will work fine but my MBP will change to "self assigned IP address".

I am not dropped from the network at any stage... just nothing works anymore.

I click renew DHCP lease like a 100 times and nothing happens. If i go to airport utility it won't let me retrieve the details for the extreme. If i leave it for 5min it will sometimes randomly work again.

(the mini uses bootcamp and switches between vista and OSX, could this have anything to do with it?)

Please help. :)

2. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

greetings

Although I don't have an airport extreme (im a cisco guy) I am 100% sure that you can create a DHCP reservation based on a device's MAC address.

dig around the control panel for the extreme or google dhcp reservation for it.

that way you can make your router assign static addresses that will never interfere with one another.

good luck.

3. Hot Snowboarder thread starter macrumors 6502

So i reserved my MBPs mac address. And same thing happens... as soon as the mini is back on the network i'm back to self assigned IP.

I can connect my airport express to my MBP via ethernet. then have my express join the extreme network and it all works fine.

This is really really irritating me.

4. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

hmm. well, make dhcp reservations for your mini as well as any other wireless device and see if that does anything.

more importantly, make sure your mini's mac addressed isnt a clone of your MBP (which is something you would have to have done, as the odds of this happening at random are astronomical)

the fact that you are using bootcamp and vista occasionally shouldn't do anything to the hardware addresses that your router uses to assign ip's

5. Hot Snowboarder thread starter macrumors 6502

reserved for mini as well. no change.

MAC addresses are different.

6. blueknight12 macrumors newbie

same/similar issue

I have a mac book, a mac min, an ibm, and two iphones and a wireless printer are all on my network. My mac mini has migrated information from an old powerbook that is no longer on my network.

When I bring my mini back from standby my airport express has assigned the computers IP to another computer (even if there are no other computers online.) The only way to get my mini online is to reset the express.

This is a problem that has been getting more persistant and is up to a 50/50 chance of working when my computer comes back on from standby.

Any suggestions?