Mac Mini Late 2010 vs Macbook Pro Early/Mid 2008

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FrocksFires, Jan 15, 2011.

1. FrocksFires macrumors newbie

Right now, I'm looking to purchase a Mac OS computer due to my current faulty( and old) computer.

However, I am in a dilemma. I want the most performance, but I'm not sure which to go for: Mac Mini Late 2010 or a Macbook Pro Early/Mid 2008.

As the Mac Mini is a 'cpu', I would assume it might have more performance than the MacBook Pro. However, I've heard quite good reviews on the Macbook Pro being quite reliable even for the 2008 titanium model.

Which seems the best?

A couple of notes:
    - I have a tight budget
    - I want performance
    - I don't mind mobility (though would be handy)
    - Compare with similar ram memories, if you are.

Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

MBP is faster but early 2008 MBPs have the infamous NVidia 8600M GT which is prone to fail. Try to extend your budget so you can get late 2008 MBP unless you are ready to deal with issues

3. FrocksFires thread starter macrumors newbie

What exactly is prone to fail? Speed? The MBP?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The GPU. It means you don't get picture of if you do, it's distorted. The whole logic board has to be replaced in order to fix it but sooner than later it's going to fail, again. Apple does cover it though.

5. FrocksFires thread starter macrumors newbie

... I didn't know it was that bad... is there any statistic as to how long it usually takes to fail? I don't think it would be a problem if it took ages to act up...

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Since MBPs with 8600M GT are already a few years old, it can happen at any time. I have heard cases where it didn't take longer than a month to fail again.

7. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

I have an early 08 MBP with 8600m GT and haven't had the GPU problem. A lot of people have, not just on Macs either. It really depends on your needs. If you need mobility and the benefits of dedicated GPU, MBP is the way to go. The 2010 Mini is not bad at all though with the 320m.