Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

instinct

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2010
Hi all,

I've followed instructions from a couple of YouTube videos (including the OWC one) on how to replace the existing hard drive with an SSD.

The existing 5400rpm hard drive seems to seat differently that on the instructions and videos. It is seated deep down and will not come off. I can't even reach it with my fingers to try and lift it up.

Is there something I'm not doing correctly or has Apple changed the design? If so, do I need to remove the logic board perhaps to make more room?

Thank you!

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
Hi all,

I've followed instructions from a couple of YouTube videos (including the OWC one) on how to replace the existing hard drive with an SSD.

The existing 5400rpm hard drive seems to seat differently that on the instructions and videos. It is seated deep down and will not come off. I can't even reach it with my fingers to try and lift it up.

Is there something I'm not doing correctly or has Apple changed the design? If so, do I need to remove the logic board perhaps to make more room?

Thank you!

See this thread and the other threads I refer to in this thread.

In short, Apple is putting the HDD in a differeant bay to the one in the videos. I assume your bay is in the upper bay (the one that is on the 'bottom' when the mini is upside down).

You need to look at the video for installing a 'second' drive instead, as the standard 'second' drive videos look at installing a drive in the bay you have your HDD in.

See this thread.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1574336/

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
The design is not altered, the drive is screwed from its side onto the plastic frame. The easier method (not the OWC video, they go all the way with removing the logic board), keeps the "top" drive in place with the bottom drive, and 2 pins and grommets in one side. Maybe not as sturdy when you throw it outside your flat, but that is irrelevant anyway.
- Why do you want to remove it? Just drop an SSD on top.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
On my 2012 mini the stock drive was installed in the upper bay. I followed the OWC video and had no issues following it when I installed my SSD in the bottom bay and the stock drive back into the upper bay.

I removed the power supply, the mother board, the stock drive and then the plastic drive tray. Installed the SSD in the bottom of the plastic tray and then reversed the disassembly instructions. Putting in the top drive was a pita with getting the pins to line up but other than that it was pretty smooth going.

Sometimes it is quicker to not take the shortcut approach.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.