Mac Mini late 2014 and Final Cut Pro X

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by BvizioN, Feb 16, 2018.

1. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

I just went ahead and purchased the late 2014 Mac Mini, 2.8Ghz dual core i5 and 8GB of Ram.

Because I already have an LG 4K monitor 27UD88, Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse 2, I thought I would save some £ and get the mini. If anyone of you have an experience of using Final Cut Pro X on it, is this capable at all or absolutely useless? I will be editing mostly HD resolution on it, not the 4K. Will probably use it for a year or so and then upgrade to something else.

Also, what's the best way to connect it to the monitor? (photo attached)
    I went ahead and purchased this 4k HDMI cable, but wondering if there is any better way.

Attached Files:

2. opeter macrumors 68000

opeter

Mac mini 2014 can't output 4k @60 Hz. Even if you use Mini displayport cable.

3. Fozziebear40 macrumors regular

Fozziebear40

I've just got a Mac Mini, couldn't wait any longer, and an LG 27UD68 monitor, same spec as yours but no USB C.

Mini Display Port to Display Port cable required. You can get 4k at 30Hz but no scaling so everything is tiny. I use it at 2560 x 1440 which is not sharp and crisp but it will do. A MacBook Air will do 4k at 60Hz and HiDPI scaling.

If I had that monitor though I would have got a MacBook or Pro as one cable will connect it and charge at the same time.

4. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

I run Final Cut Pro on a 2012 2.6ghz/16gb quad core Mini and it works very well with HD. The video card is the weakest link on the 2012 mini though. I also ran FCPX for awhile on a base model 2.5ghz i5 dual core with 16gb and it worked fine too. Also was fine on my 2013 i7/8gb MacBook Air.

So I don't think you will have any real problems on that 2014 Mini. Maybe not a "dream machine" for Final Cut Pro, but it meets Apple's spec and should work fine. I would have gotten 16gb however, just because you can never upgrade.

No clue about the monitor, all of mine are antiques. :D

5. BvizioN thread starter macrumors 601

BvizioN

To get a macbook pro is still a lot of money. I got this Mac Mini on eBay for only £510 and it have only been used 2 months. Have all the stuff needed at my desk, that's why I went for mini. But if a better mini comes out I can always sell this one back on eBay.

Btw, do you (or anyone) know what kind of display do I get with HDMI 4K? I have read just so many conflicting information about this subject.

Thanks.

6. Fozziebear40 macrumors regular

Fozziebear40

AFAIK (I might try later) you can only get 1920 x 1080 out of the HDMI port. I use both Thunderbolt/Mini Display Port to the LG and an iMac with Target Display. 2 screens both at 2560 x 1440.

7. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

Your 2014 mini can do a little better than that. :)

But my 2012 quad mini can only support 1920 x 1200 on the HDMI port.

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP710?locale=en_US

Video Support
    • Support for up to two displays at 2560 by 1600 pixels, both at millions of colors
    • Thunderbolt digital video output
      • Native Mini DisplayPort output
      • DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
      • VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
      • Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)
    • HDMI video output
      • Support for 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz
      • Support for 3840-by-2160 resolution at 30Hz
      • Support for 4096-by-2160 resolution at 24Hz

8. Fozziebear40 macrumors regular

Fozziebear40

Cheers Boyd01, I had the 60Hz at the back of my mind ;)

9. BvizioN thread starter macrumors 601

BvizioN

Thank You so much guys.

I have never owned a Mac mini before and I know this was not the best time to go for mini but for £510 I guess it was not too bad, and I would still be able to get some of them back if I decide to sell it in a year or tow.

I have to say, it exceeded my expectations so far. I was expecting it it be much slower then it is (been watching some YouTube videos of people setting this thing up where it appeared to take forever) The funny thing is, I did not know how to connect the Apple magic mouse 2 and the latest Apple keyboard to it (they have no buttons to press for paring or anything and the set up is not complete to unable bluetooth on the menu) so I had to watch a YouTube video to educate myself, found out that if you connect these things via the lighting cable to mini, they automatically do the pairing.

The display is fine, it seem to push the full resolution at 30Hz via the HDMI cable. I didn't really notice any drawback with the 30Hz refreshing rate but then again I have to give it some time. The display though looks nice and crisp. I can't believe I am going this much about a technology that is over 3 year old :)

By the way, I have many times in this forum make a laugh with people who repeatedly bombarded the forum with comments about mini refresh. Turns out it is really great, specially if you have some nice monitor and accessories needed. I will be looking forward to mini updates, hopefully soon.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      227.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      339.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      346.5 KB
      Views:
  10. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I use FCPX on my Mini often and it works very well. It has no problem editing even 4K as long as you use proxy files. FCPX is extremely well optimized so don't worry about that.