Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mirco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Hi folks,

I'm experiencing an annoying problem with the new mac mini (so, Core 2 DUO) that I've got. It runs Leopard and I set up accounts for many users. It happens that when you logout, sometimes, the mouse freeze (hopefully the keyboard is still responsive).

The thing is that it doesn't happen any time you logout, I can just tell you that it eventually happens... when you do admin work on it is quite frustrating :)

I tried to look for someone with the same problem on the net, but I haven't been able to spot any similar one (generally is the keyboard that freeze).

If any of you has any idea/suggestion.... let me know. Btw, the mouse is wired, I have tried to change the UBS port to which it was connected, but it still freeze. Finally, I have no idea if this problem was present with Tiger, as I have immediately installed Leopard. Though, I have the feeling that is an OS bug, but I'm astonished to be the only one having this problem (so it is likely to be a problem of my hardware:confused:).

Thx

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
I have a recent mini with Leopard on it, though I installed from scratch (it came with 10.4 pre-installed). I haven't had this problem yet, for what it's worth.

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
No problem here - I rarely log out though.

I can get the keyboard to die though. Mouse still works, even though it is plugged into the keyboard.

Mirco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
First of all, thx to all you guys that have found the time and patience to share your experience.

Then, I think I may have found the cause of the problem, even though it's pretty spurious.

I have started to notice that this problem is likely to happen when, for some not very clear motivation, Leopard is not able to connect to a computer on the same network. So, I start to believe that it is really a little bug of the OS that (maybe also caused by my wi-fi router) the mouse get lost, eventually, when you log out of the system.
Am I the only one who has getting (sometimes) problems in accessing computers on the same network?

After all, it is not a huge problem as the keyboard is still working and you can easily reboot the system with it, still it is annoying. But I have the feeling that by changing the wi-fi AP I may solve the problem. I'm gonna try to give it a shoot, and come back to you in one week and let you know.... we never know that someone else get stuck in the same situation ;)

eenduiker

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2007
Same problem

I have the same problem with my mini + leopard at home. It was upgraded with a leopard drop-in dvd. I connect it to a Wifi router which is only used to get connected to the DSL. There is nothing else in the local network. So this leads me to doubt your theory.

Mirco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
I have the same problem with my mini + leopard at home. It was upgraded with a leopard drop-in dvd. I connect it to a Wifi router which is only used to get connected to the DSL. There is nothing else in the local network. So this leads me to doubt your theory.

:) Your doubts are right. It just happened that it crashed while the Wi-Fi was disabled...

The only thing that I can say for describing when it happens is:

"I work under some user name, so open and close applications. Then I logout and I start over with another user. I do this operation for a number of times (random) and eventually at the logout the mouse freeze (keyboard is perfectly reactive)".

Doe it happen in the very same way to you or you can give me some hint that may point me right to the problem :confused:

Magnus Music

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
This is a problem

We have just installed 18 Mac mini's at our school and they are working really well. But the mouse randomly freezes when you log out. Very frustrating as the only way round it is to reboot the comptuter. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Nick

martinlk

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2005
Aalborg, Denmark
My girlfriend's parents just upgraded their Mac Mini to Leopard, and they're experiencing the exact same thing--mouse freezes on logout and a reboot is necessary to get it working again. I've shown them how to restart the machine using the keyboard, but that's kind of a hassle. I tried zapping the PRAM, but to no avail. I sure hope 10.5.2 fixes this!

jcrider

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
mouse freeze

(Do not touch the mouse while waking from sleep or while the machine transitions to the user log in screen after logging out.)

This is without question a leopard issue.
I have found if your not moving the mouse during these two cases this doesn't happen. There may be additional circumstances in which this will happen but these are the only two I've found.

carolnafan

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2006
Wisconsin
Same problem here

I'm experiencing the same thing. It doesn't happen every time a user logs out so maybe we are moving the mouse sometimes and other times we aren't.

I'm going to try the hints mentioned. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

jcrider

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
I'm experiencing the same thing. It doesn't happen every time a user logs out so maybe we are moving the mouse sometimes and other times we aren't.

I'm going to try the hints mentioned. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

After selecting log out from the menu and the log out dialog box is displayed let go of the mouse and press the return key on the keyboard instead.
Same thing when waking from sleep.
press a key on the keyboard to wake it.
I'm not saying it's a fix, apple will have to do that.
This is only a work around.

PShark

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
I've just installed 10.5.2 on my Mac Mini that's been having the same problems with the mouse freezing on logout.

Sadly, at least in my case, it's not fixed with this latest patch :mad:

If I deliberately move the mouse around between clicking on the logout button and the login window appearing it still freezes as often as not.

The 'temporary' workaround of not moving the mouse when logging out will have to do until the problem gets fixed.

martinlk

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2005
Aalborg, Denmark
Wow, that sucks. I was hoping that this would be fixed. I bought this machine so that my girlfriend's parents would have a machine that "just works," and having to explain why their mouse freezes sometimes after logging out is not optimal :mad:

PShark

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
Just to add to this, my Mini came with 10.4 and now runs 10.5 after an upgrade rather than a clean install. Don't know if this makes any difference or if some people are seeing this issue following a clean installation.

When the mouse has frozen on login, I find logging in using the keyboard only and then logging out again using the keyboard will bring the mouse back to life once the login screen reappears.

One one occasion, the mouse has frozen during use. The scoll wheel continued to work but the pointer was frozen.

Any sign of 10.5.3.....?

jcrider

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
Just to add to this, my Mini came with 10.4 and now runs 10.5 after an upgrade rather than a clean install. Don't know if this makes any difference or if some people are seeing this issue following a clean installation.

When the mouse has frozen on login, I find logging in using the keyboard only and then logging out again using the keyboard will bring the mouse back to life once the login screen reappears.

One one occasion, the mouse has frozen during use. The scoll wheel continued to work but the pointer was frozen.

Any sign of 10.5.3.....?

10.5.2 didn't fix the issue for me either.

10.5 was clean installed on my mini.
It has the same problem.
When the mouse freezes on the login screen it still works if you click it.
you just can't move it over what you want. (try it)
I have two other machines in the house I'll see if they do the same thing when I get home. I would be patient regarding the in laws or whatever. This will be resolved and is pretty tame compared to problems you will run into on some other platforms I won't mention!

jcrider

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
10.5.2 didn't fix the issue for me either.

10.5 was clean installed on my mini.
It has the same problem.
When the mouse freezes on the login screen it still works if you click it.
you just can't move it over what you want. (try it)
I have two other machines in the house I'll see if they do the same thing when I get home. I would be patient regarding the in laws or whatever. This will be resolved and is pretty tame compared to problems you will run into on some other platforms I won't mention!

I have a PB G4, an imac G5 and an intel mac mini.
Sadly it is only the intel mini that has this issue.
Neither the PB or the imac have this issue and all of them are running the latest version of leopard.

I wonder if other intel based mac models exhibit this behavior.

PShark

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
Installed 10.5.3 and the problem appeared to be fixed - no mouse freezes on logout. Tried to provoke the fault by furiously moving the mouse between logging out and the login box reappearing, but no sign of the problem after a dozen or so logouts.

Until I rebooted and the problem resurfaced exactly as before... Freezing almost every time if the mouse is moved after logout.

10.5.4??????????

greifenwald

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2008
Hi folks,

same problem here. Any hints or tricks? My MacMini is connected via fixed cable, so I don't think there is any problem with the network....

rgds. greifenwald :confused:

PShark

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
Well 10.5.4 had no effect either. Worse than that, it froze part way through the update, and though thankfully it still boots (or does most of the time) it stops recognising USB flash drives after a while and needs to be restarted.

So I've now a Mini which freezes on logout if I forget not to move the mouse and needs to be rebooted when I plug a USB drive in it.

I have to confess to having lost confidence in the Mac OS. I was considering going over to a Mac Pro, but will no longer risk it. Windows has its faults and its bloat, but I perceive a lack of either resources or the will on the part of Apple to have their OS working reliably.

In my limited experience, it's a nice idea but doesn't work properly.

ginoyann

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2008
Laval, Canada
iMac mouse freeze

Hi. I just bought an iMac an I also have that problem with the mouse
freezing if I move it right after a logout. I hope Apple will fix this very soon in there next update

ginoyann

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2008
Laval, Canada
Problem half solved with 10.5.5

Hi. My mouse doesn't freeze as much with update 10.5.5
But if I move it very fast while it's logging out, it will freeze
again. I guess I have to do it on purpose to make it freeze.
I think it's acceptable, now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.