Mac Mini Leopard to Snow Leopard Unique Upgrade question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cinca, Jun 10, 2010.

1. cinca macrumors regular

My brother and parents have a Mac Mini each.

They have not the latest generation but the prior Intel generation -- that shipped with Leopard.

Being the family IT guy, last time I was in town I purchased the Snow Leopard retail DVD family pack upgrade and upgraded my parents machines to Snow Leopard. I couldn't upgrade my brother's mini because he had it away at school. Now he is back at my parents house (as am I) and I was all set to upgrade his machine to Snow Leopard but I can't find the retail install disk I purchased.

However, I do have the Snow Leopard Mac Mini OSX install DVD that shipped with my recently purchased (latest generation) Mac Mini.

Question -- does anyone know if I could use this latest generation Snow Leopard Mac Mini system install DVD (the one that shipped with my mac Mini) to upgrade my brother's previous generation mac mini running Leopard to snow leopard. Not looking to do a clean install but rather the upgrade.

Anyhow ever tried this? I obviously don't want to upgrade his previous generation machine with drivers, etc. for my latest generation --- rather JUST get his leopard upgraded to snow leopard.

Any advice? Tips? Experiences that someone can share..?

Much much appreciated!

- C

2. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

I think that the OEM CD only has drivers for your particular machine. I may be wrong, but I wouldn't risk it.

3. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Just put the disc in the Mini and try to run the upgrade. If it won't work, the installer will tell you.