Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
I've got a Mac Mini at home, but I'm at work now and just have a quick question. I've noticed on the Apple marketting blurb that the Mini audio output will do Line Out as well as headphones.

Do you have to switch the output over in Audio/MIDI setup or something?

mpshay

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
Florida
I never had to mess with the settings on eith of my minis. It just worked. Plugged the correct cable into optial jack on my receiver. If you don't already have the cable check out monoprice.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
So you have to use optical for line out? Wow.. That's pretty bad. Guess I'll have to look for a USB line out thing then. Thanks for your replies.

oh wait... is the line port in/out? or just in? - occording to this it is in/out. Man I'm a dumbass.

:edit: i retract that statement :) apparently it is either optical out or headphones. that's quite lame. whats wrong with analogue line out apple?!

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
The specs for the mini shows "Optical digital audio output/headphone out"

Maybe you were confused by "Optical digital audio input/audio line in"

There is some spec data on the Apple Store, but this article has the more detailed specs: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP7

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005
The optical audio out also acts as a headphone jack, just as the optical audio in also works with standard mics. You don't need a USB-Audio out adapter.

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
He wants a line out.

You can't change the volume on a line out jack. On an iPod the line out does not go thru a variable amp and is supposedly less noisy.

Not sure how noisy the headphone jack is on a mini.

Here is thread talking about it a bit: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/144904/ . The guy with $700 headphones and $250 external amp uses the line out on his iPod vs the headphone jack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.