Mac Mini loses Wired Ethernet connection, only remedied after a reboot.. help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by auyongtc, May 1, 2007.

1. auyongtc macrumors member

Anyone have the same experience as I have:

- Mac Mini connected via Wired Ethernet to LAN
    - Been working well all these while
    - Nowadays it dropped the connection after a period of time (days)
    - The Sys Pref shows it's still connected, but no traffic can passthru, no ping no nothing
    - Only way to recover from this is a system reboot.

Seems like this only happens after OSX 10.4.9 update. Probably messing with one of the apps on my machine? And also, the Mac Mini at work is also facing this symptom as well. The things I can think off the top of my head that's running on both machines are like Quicksilver, VirtueDesktop, Firefox, Mail.app, Terminal.app and not much others.

Anyone facing the same? :confused:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What sort of mini is it? If you Renew DHCP Lease, does it reconnect? How about if you disable and then re-enable Ethernet?

3. auyongtc thread starter macrumors member

Mac Mini Intel Core Duo 1.66GHz (both machines)

It's on static IP on both, I manage my own private IP space and uses a Linux box as a router at home while the office I have my own subnet.

As for disabling and re-enabling the Wired Ethernet connection, tried that but no difference. I've also tried unplugging and replugging-in the Ethernet cable, changing the cable but only a reboot can fix it.

All ping came back request timed out until a reboot. I'm a network engineer by profession, just really stumped on this, in which I suspect it's some apps causing conflict since I face the same problem on both Macs on static IP, on wired LAN. Haven't had much chance to dive into identifying which exact app that's playing foul, so I thought I'd ask here first in case there are people facing the same issues.

The machine I use at work is fairly lean, nothing much I run most of the time besides Xcode, Firefox, Terminal.app, Mail.app, VirtueDesktop, Quicksilver.