Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
May 3, 2022
I have several times considered a computer connected to a TV. Now I've actually gotten rid of my desk as I spend less and less time in front of the computer and don't think it's fun anymore. Still, sometimes I need to create documents, do some editing in iMovie and manage my files.

My cousin has a PC connected to a TV and it looks so nice. Sitting comfortably on the sofa with a keyboard/tablet (combined). She mainly uses it to manage files and nothing else.

Is the Mac mini M1 suitable for this or not? Mainly worried about Bluetooth issues but does it work better if I use Logi Bolt? Maybe better with a PC?

Anyone have a Mac mini M1 connected to a TV and how is it working for you? How will the scaling be (HiDPI)? So I'm not going to sit near the screen, but as usual in front of a TV on the sofa.

I know about Apple TV but it doesn't serve a function for me. TV already has built-in apps, so I'm looking for computer functions.

Sure, I can use a laptop or tablet instead, but I don't like holding a small screen.

Fatus_Asticus

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2021
I have a m1 Mini on my 65 inch LG OLED. Look great. The initial setup was a bit of a pain because it automatically matches the 4k resolution which made the text really small but manageable. I have it set right now for 1080p so I can actually read it from my sofa.

Cancelled
Original poster
May 3, 2022
I have a m1 Mini on my 65 inch LG OLED. Look great. The initial setup was a bit of a pain because it automatically matches the 4k resolution which made the text really small but manageable. I have it set right now for 1080p so I can actually read it from my sofa.
4K on 65 inches must be significantly larger (easier to read) than e.g. 4K on 27 inches?

Does it look good when you scale to 1080p? Does the text look sharp (from the couch)? I would never sit as close to a large TV as a smaller monitor anyway.

Fatus_Asticus

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2021
4K on 65 inches must be significantly larger (easier to read) than e.g. 4K on 27 inches?

Does it look good when you scale to 1080p? Does the text look sharp (from the couch)? I would never sit as close to a large TV as a smaller monitor anyway.

The initial boot up text was very tiny.

At 1080p it looks good from the couch. I don’t use the tv all the time, i will Remote Desktop with my macbook, but i have no issues with the text.

Reactions: 4419867

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
I have several times considered a computer connected to a TV. Now I've actually gotten rid of my desk as I spend less and less time in front of the computer and don't think it's fun anymore. Still, sometimes I need to create documents, do some editing in iMovie and manage my files.

My cousin has a PC connected to a TV and it looks so nice. Sitting comfortably on the sofa with a keyboard/tablet (combined). She mainly uses it to manage files and nothing else.

Is the Mac mini M1 suitable for this or not? Mainly worried about Bluetooth issues but does it work better if I use Logi Bolt? Maybe better with a PC?

Anyone have a Mac mini M1 connected to a TV and how is it working for you? How will the scaling be (HiDPI)? So I'm not going to sit near the screen, but as usual in front of a TV on the sofa.

I know about Apple TV but it doesn't serve a function for me. TV already has built-in apps, so I'm looking for computer functions.

Sure, I can use a laptop or tablet instead, but I don't like holding a small screen.
I don't have a M1, but years ago I tried it with the mini & found it to be so much of a faff. Sure you can have a keyboard & mouse, but I found that equally annoying - getting comfortable with a mouse etc. scrolling for media etc.

I found to was easier to get an apple tv for when I've down time (it's a better interface for movies/apps etc that's fed by the mini) & on the rare occasion you need a browser/computer functions, AirPlay whatever device to it, phone & MacBook.

As for the built-in apps your tv has, sure they function, but the tv's usually the first to stop getting security updates & probably the least insecure of all devices on your network, unless you have a washing machine / fridge connected!😂

Best thing about the laptop I find is just the placement & you've got the trackpad & keyboard handy, as always ymmv.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

Ashbash75

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2017
I'm using a m1 mac mini as a htpc, It's the worst htpc I've ever had. Bluetooth issues on my magic trackpad and it does not wake up my samsung qled telly from sleep. Running at 1080p.

Cancelled
Original poster
May 3, 2022
I don't have a M1, but years ago I tried it with the mini & found it to be so much of a faff. Sure you can have a keyboard & mouse, but I found that equally annoying - getting comfortable with a mouse etc. scrolling for media etc.

I found to was easier to get an apple tv for when I've down time (it's a better interface for movies/apps etc that's fed by the mini) & on the rare occasion you need a browser/computer functions, AirPlay whatever device to it, phone & MacBook.

As for the built-in apps your tv has, sure they function, but the tv's usually the first to stop getting security updates & probably the least insecure of all devices on your network, unless you have a washing machine / fridge connected!😂

Best thing about the laptop I find is just the placement & you've got the trackpad & keyboard handy, as always ymmv.
Thanks for sharing.

When I think of connecting a Mac mini to a TV, it's not for movies/apps but for the file manager, maybe documents and easier video editing in iMovie. For movies/apps, I use the TV's built-in system.

Using an Apple TV is out of the question as I want others to be able to easily cast things to my TV. No one in my circle uses an iPhone.

Should the TV's own system become outdated, I'll just buy a Chromecast TV. As far as updates to the TV are concerned, I don't know what the significance is other than that it becomes out of date. I don't have anything sensitive on my TV, just streaming services. I don't have a connected washing machine or fridge/freezer either. 😅

The problem with the laptop is that my neck hurts. Rather use external keyboard and mouse to avoid it. It works for a short while but not for long.
I'm using a m1 mac mini as a htpc, It's the worst htpc I've ever had. Bluetooth issues on my magic trackpad and it does not wake up my samsung qled telly from sleep. Running at 1080p.
Sorry to hear but thanks for sharing. I was worried about this very thing with Bluetooth issues. It seems more common than not unfortunately. What happens if you use a USB receiver instead? Is your Mac mini connected via Wi-Fi or Ethernet?

Last edited:
Reactions: McScooby

Cancelled
Original poster
May 3, 2022
I'm considering a PC like my cousin has instead. Just not sure which processor. Otherwise, I like that the Mac mini is powerful, quiet and uses little energy. Maybe build something similar. 🤔

Ashbash75

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2017
Sorry to hear but thanks for sharing. I was worried about this very thing with Bluetooth issues. It seems more common than not unfortunately. What happens if you use a USB receiver instead? Is your Mac mini connected via Wi-Fi or Ethernet?
Don't worry about it, it's been a great mac learning experience. I don't think you can use a third party dongle and connected via wifi for ease. My other intel mini has the same issue but I a logitech rf solution. Both of them will be replaced soon-ish.

Cancelled
Original poster
May 3, 2022
Don't worry about it, it's been a great mac learning experience. I don't think you can use a third party dongle and connected via wifi for ease. My other intel mini has the same issue but I a logitech rf solution. Both of them will be replaced soon-ish.
I was not referring to a Bluetooth dongle but a USB receiver such as the Logi Bolt (or their old variant). Heard it works better than using Bluetooth. Also heard that connecting via Etherne instead of Wi-Fi improves Bluetooth connections.

Ashbash75

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2017
I was not referring to a Bluetooth dongle but a USB receiver such as the Logi Bolt (or their old variant). Heard it works better than using Bluetooth. Also heard that connecting via Etherne instead of Wi-Fi improves Bluetooth connections.
oh I see, sorry mate. Logitech don't do a keyboard with a built in trackpad with a mac UK layout, that I've ever seen.

I've heard about the wired connection too and also to put the mini on it's side.

KenSM

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2022
I use a Mini M1 (8/256, ie base model) linked to a Sony Bravia 55” via HDMI, mainly for iPlayer, with Apple keyboard and mouse (both wireless), and it works very well. FWIW, I have also used the M1 mini with a 4K Samsung tv, and whereas the M1 works fine with both, my older Intel mini didn’t scale well with the Samsung, but was fine with the Sony.

DrCC

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
I was also thinking of a Mini connected to the TV as a "general use computer and video streamer" along with the MagicBridge to be able to use an Apple keyboard and trackpad on the couch. Touch ID when online shopping on the couch = essential.

Can a Mini M1 do 4K UHD with quality HDR on Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube, etc if the TV supports it?

I currently have a 27" 4K UHD LG monitor connected to an Air m1 via a Thunderbolt 3 dock and if I turn on HDR in settings for the external monitor, the colours look washed out so I am forced to keep HDR off on the external screen. I couldn't find any setting to keep HDR off for everything but online videos that support HDR.

Magic Bridge.jpg

Last edited:

Ashbash75

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2017
I was also thinking of a Mini connected to the TV as a "general use computer and video streamer" along with the MagicBridge to be able to use an Apple keyboard and trackpad on the couch. Touch ID when online shopping on the couch = essential.
I use the magicbridge and it works very well.

Fatus_Asticus

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2021
I'm using a windows keyboard on my mini with a dongle. Warned me on startup that it wasn't compatible, works just fine. Windows key is cmd. I don't mess around with it much because I can also remote in on my MacBook Pro or use universal control.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
I've used several Intel Mac Minis to a Sony 52" flat panel for over 15 years and love it. Will never go back to desktop. I've used BT touch mice, and kbs from Apple and Logitech with zero problems. I do all my Mac work and internet use from my sofa, inc, email, web, youtube, streaming, my work on ebay sales, Final Cut editing, music... everything.
Sad to hear people not having good experience with M1 Minis to TV as I am def going to upgrade. I don't care about 4k but will upgrade my TV if I have to. Mac Mini is my main use of my TV set. I do have iPad Pros I use for Zoom. I never had, wanted or needed a laptop or a standard desktop, except I did have a few early Sony All in Ones (called Slimtop) in the 90s I guess. But once I got a Mini, my TV has always been my Mac monitor..

Last edited:

oscarodas

macrumors regular
May 7, 2013
Sydney Australia
I've used several Intel Mac Minis to a Sony 52" flat panel for over 15 years and love it. Will never go back to desktop. I've used BT touch mice, and kbs from Apple and Logitech with zero problems. I do all my Mac work and internet use from my sofa, inc, email, web, youtube, streaming, my work on ebay sales, Final Cut editing, music... everything.
Sad to hear people not having good experience with M1 Minis to TV as I am def going to upgrade. I don't care about 4k but will upgrade my TV if I have to. Mac Mini is my main use of my TV set. I do have iPad Pros I use for Zoom. I never had, wanted or needed a laptop or a standard desktop, except I did have a few early Sony All in Ones (called Slimtop) in the 90s I guess. But once I got a Mini, my TV has always been my Mac monitor..
I know is an old post but at the moment I use my Mini m1 with a 55''Sony tv and never have any problem been using it more than a year.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Nighttraine12

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2017
I have a Mac mini 2018/2020 refresh version on my 72 inch LG and I am using a Bluetooth keyboard and track ball mouse. I love it. It is the 8gb intel i3 version with 256 gb hard drive. It’s very fast even with 8gb of ram. Once logged in I use the virtual keyboard. The track ball mouse is super nice as well. it streams video and 4k TV very well, and it’s a great little computer if you set it up right. If you want to use a remote, I recommend the air mouse with a keyboard on the backside of it. It works well. Mine is running Sonoma and cost me about $250. It looks absolutely mint and far exceeded my expectation. It takes a lot to impress me and this machine impresses me as a mini pc and streaming box for a TV.

Last edited:

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Yeah I've done this for the last decade. I use a mini on my TV for web browsing, the various streaming services and assorted downloaded media. I honestly can't conceive not having a mac as my TV. In university I never had a TV so all my media consumption was done on a computer. I've not been forced to watch TV adverts since 2001 ;)

Keyboard and trackpad sit on my coffee table and connect perfectly fine via Bluetooth. My only frustration is an apparently common and long standing issue with USB-A transfers crippling the Bluetooth connection briefly.

Of course sharing the TV becomes an issue in multi-person households, so if it's your only computer. Get ready to negotiate with your better half or kids if you need it for a specific task other than media consumption.

I admit it's not great to lean forward to the coffee table for productivity. My personal solution is that I have a PC tower at my desk for 3D and drafting work and an iPad Pro for travelling and sketching.

EDIT: Oh yeah this is a bumped thread. Oh well, future generations ... buy a mac mini for your TV!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.