Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CtotheP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Silicon Valley
Anyone know why this CONSTANTLY happens on a Mac mini M1? Connected to an LG 34UC80-b at 3440x1440. Connection is HDMI to HDMI, I've also tried USB-c to DisplayPort, etc. I get constant pink/green artifacts all over the screen

Thoughts?

MacMini_M1_discolor.png

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
You get the artifacts when using usb c to DisplayPort as well?

Are you connecting directly to the ports on the mini or using a hub?

If it were HDMI only, I would say it's a handshake issue with HDMI and recommend trying a different cable or adapter/hub. I've had issues with my M1 Macs and some usb c to HDMI dongles. I've never had an issue using DisplayPort via usb c or a dongle/hub.

If you are having problems with DisplayPort as well, I'm not sure what to recommend other than trying a variety of cables, dongles, or hubs in hope that you find one that works. However, before spending money to play connection roulette, I would consider wiping the mini, doing a fresh install of MacOS and manually download and configure all software and settings to avoid bringing back a corrupted file from a restore.

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
Try restarting in safe mode.

Safe Mode Instructions

If that helps, something you have installed is causing issues.

You can try reinstalling macOS again.

However, the fact that it is happening on both display protocols may well be indicative of a logic board problem. Check in with Apple support either by a call or trip to the Genius Bar at a store.

CtotheP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Silicon Valley
Thanks all for the suggestion. Created a fresh, bootable Sonoma installer and wiped my Mac mini drive w/ Disk Utility to do a clean install. Need to troubleshoot a bit as Disk Utility appeared to NOT have wiped the full drive and I'm in limbo a bit. I'll be back and report out once I get Sonoma installed

Reactions: meson

CtotheP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Silicon Valley
Finally got the SSD straightened out with Apple Configurator 2 and was able to clean install MacOS Sonoma. As of now screen looks really good! A few subtle pixel issues here-and-there but assuming that's due to the non-native resolution of 3440x1440

Reactions: meson and Chuckeee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.