Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2002
Auckland, NZ
Anyone else running an M1 Mini just for a Plex Media server?
Just moved my Plex Server over to M1 from a Wintel Box and it runs fine. Its nice and cool.
Just can't wait for Universal Support for PMS instead of running in Rosetta 2

ScatteredPixel

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2020
So I'm not yet, was actually thinking of ditching my PC and moving over to the Mac mini. How does it handle 4K HDR direct plays?

ScatteredPixel

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2020
Have you had any issues with sleeping? That was the main thing I noticed crop up on reddit or the Plex forums.

appleguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2002
Auckland, NZ
Have you had any issues with sleeping? That was the main thing I noticed crop up on reddit or the Plex forums.
Not yet.. I do have a usb C ssd drive I have plugged that I am using as a cache/transcoding that sometimes disconnects for a bit then comes back.
I have noticed since I switched more of the streams I get are direct connect. Had 11 streaks going fine. All direct plays (different shows)

Dameatball

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2014
San Francisco
Anyone else running an M1 Mini just for a Plex Media server?
Just moved my Plex Server over to M1 from a Wintel Box and it runs fine. Its nice and cool.
Just can't wait for Universal Support for PMS instead of running in Rosetta 2
curious do you use hardware or software transcoding? have you tested both scenarios and noticed any difference between the two? doesn't have to be precise, just curious what your experience has been

Reactions: Equitek
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.