Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eduardot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
Just thought it necessary to post my Mac mini M1 3 monitor setup for working ( teaching virtually ) and streaming.
Everything is working smoothly.
The mini has 16 gig of ram and 1 TB SSD. a Wavlink usb 3 to HDMI dual display adapter managing one monitor through one of the minis usb 3 ports. the other two monitors one via HDMI and usb c ports respectively. An old iPad mini is serving as my Stream Deck using ElGato stream deck software. A usb dock plugged through the other usb c port manages two hdd, microphone, two usb cameras, and usb monitored UPS. Keyboard and mouse through Logitechs USB dongle. Bose sound through the other USB port on the mini.
Using Alfred 5.02, Obs studio for streaming and teaching. Spotify always on. Telegram, Messenger and WhatsApp always running. Any number of open windows on Safari mostly. Evernote is my daily helper. 1password protects my setup. iStat menus a must for monitoring. Headphones hooked though the sound output of the mini.
It is saddening for me that Apple did not provide the hardware necessary to easily connect three monitors, and I had to search and test a lot of possible solutions for it. For all those that thought the Mini m1 is dead, See the proof ITS ALIVE...!!!!!
Know I am waiting for a new Mac mini with multiple monitor support, because the Studio is 3 times more expensive.
Please do it Apple....... Make It SO!!!

Attachments

• mini3monitors.jpeg
    mini3monitors.jpeg
    488.2 KB · Views: 3,575
Reactions: webbuzz

Eduardot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
I’d love to see a post like this that shows a dual mac streaming setup. One for OBS (M1 Mini) and one for gaming.
I use the same machine for gaming, but the server is steam, and there is quite a limiting quantity of games that will run . so I'm thinking of getting an intel machine just for gaming, using the same hardware I use on the Mac. Unfortunately Macs are not made for the king of games that I usually play. I would also like to see a multiple work/gaming Mac. and definitely not interested on installing windows on the Mac. Soon I will be trying the Mac Studio for work and gaming, I will post what I find with it.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I tried DisplayLink for a third monitor and it was okay. The dual 4k support was decent but I went with a Studio in the end as I didn't like the 16 GB RAM limitation as well.

Reactions: Basic75

Eduardot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
Another reason to move to Studio is that display link uses a mirrored display, and that in itself won't let you see any videos from Apple TV, Amazon Prime, if you must see any movie or series, or games or concerts in the display link Mac mini, you have to disconnect it, losing one whole display in the process. PArt of the copy protection scheme I believe, but a very important limiting factor. Guess I will have to move to the Apple Studio that has multi monitor support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.