Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flocarino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Montreal, Canada
The title says it all basically. It is a Mac Mini M1 16GB and 1TB SSD running the latest version of Monterey 12.0.1.
Everything works perfectly beside the USB issue.
In these 2 USB ports I have connected a printer/scanner and an USB lightning cable for my iPhone SE.
If I turn on the Mini, the ports work fine BUT...if I put the Mini to sleep or leave it on idle(just the screen turns off after 15 minutes), manual setting in Energy Saver, the USB ports aren't recognized anymore.
I was on the phone with Apple but they want me to bring the Mini in an Apple Store but I can't afford the down time as I told them.
Booting the Mini on Safe Mode and putting it to sleep and waking it...the USB ports work:rolleyes:

In the Thunderbolt ports I have connected: 1 x Terramaster D4-300 Hard Drive enclosure (USB-C 3.1 connection) and 1 x Starcom Thunderbolt 3 dock which work flawlessly.
If I remove the USB cables from the Mini and connect them to the dock: both the Printer/Scanner and Iphone are recognised and working.

Is this a faulty Mini ? Should I bring it in to Apple Store anyways ? Why are the USB ports working after a restart then !?!?!

Any input is highly appreciated. Thank you

ipsedixit

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
What brand of USB cables are you using? M1 Mini's can be very particular about the types of cables. Are they Apple OEM cables? If not, worth a try.

Good luck.

Flocarino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Last edited:

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Purely for testing, disconnect the printer/scanner, and restart the unit, see what happens. If it works okay, reconnect the cable and then disconnect the cable for your iPhone, and repeat the steps.

Basically, you're doing a process of elimination. This will help identify if the issue is the 'hardware' connected, versus something else...

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My answer will be different from the others.

My suggestion and solution:
DON'T put it "to sleep".

Instead, set it up so that ONLY the display "sleeps", while the Mini remains "awake, but idling".

WHY?
Because there's essentially no difference in power consumption between the "sleeping" Mini and the "awake, but idling" Mini.

You can set it so that a password is required to "awaken" the sleeping display, if you wish.

I recommend that you TRY this for several days running.
See if it can be an "easy-enough" work-around for your problem...

Another way to handle it:
Just reach forward and turn off the display... :cool:

Flocarino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Montreal, Canada
I already try that, PLUG & UNPLUG. As I said, it works perfectly at the start, after waking from sleep...nothing is seen (USB x 2 ports), I plugged and unplugged, tried several other USB cables, even originals from my iPhone and IPad, no luck.

Flocarino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Montreal, Canada
My answer will be different from the others.

My suggestion and solution:
DON'T put it "to sleep".

Instead, set it up so that ONLY the display "sleeps", while the Mini remains "awake, but idling".

WHY?
Because there's essentially no difference in power consumption between the "sleeping" Mini and the "awake, but idling" Mini.

You can set it so that a password is required to "awaken" the sleeping display, if you wish.

I recommend that you TRY this for several days running.
See if it can be an "easy-enough" work-around for your problem...

Another way to handle it:
Just reach forward and turn off the display... :cool:
Should I uncheck the box: PUT HARD DISKS TO SLEEP WHEN POSSIBLE as well ?...I left it to idle with only the screen going to sleep after 15 minutes and the problem was there as well.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Should I uncheck the box: PUT HARD DISKS TO SLEEP WHEN POSSIBLE as well ?"

Yes. Give this a try and see if it changes anything.

verm

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2022
HKG
Sorry to dig up an old thread. Did you find the culprit? I just bought a refurb 1TB/16GB Mac Mini M1 and had this error happen once just now when waking from sleep. I had to connect my keyboard via the USB-C connector on the back to open terminal and restart the computer to get the two USB-A ports to work with my hub and all the connected accessories.

Edit: I found a thread / video of the issue:

Last edited:

verm

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2022
HKG
Thanks for the update. It is a shame. This very issue (also discussed here) happened to two M1 Mac Mini's I've had, also 16GB/1TB variant. I am now resorting to plugging my peripherals into a USB 2.0 switcher (for sharing between two devices) and that goes into a USB-C 10Gbps hub that goes into one of the USB-C ports on the back of the MM.

mikechi

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2018
Just bought a used 2020 M1 Mac mini 16GB/1TB and am having the same problem where the USB-A ports do not work after it wakes from sleep. Total bummer. For now I'm going to prevent the machine from going to sleep- I just hope it's as durable of a machine as my 2012 Mac Mini that has been running non-stop for the past 8 years.

verm

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2022
HKG
Just bought a used 2020 M1 Mac mini 16GB/1TB and am having the same problem where the USB-A ports do not work after it wakes from sleep. Total bummer. For now I'm going to prevent the machine from going to sleep- I just hope it's as durable of a machine as my 2012 Mac Mini that has been running non-stop for the past 8 years.
After lots of settings changes and trial & error, I've not had the issue for a while (touch wood). Try to make sure your Mini doesn't have weird scheduled events set (check it in System Information > Hardware > Power). There should be nothing scheduled.

Flocarino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Montreal, Canada
OK thanks, I'll look for that...the problem now is that since Sonoma was installed I have random wake from sleep at night of the screen....I can't find anything wrong and I look on all the settings

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.