Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Well, yes, but the reason you are in the yellow is because you are running an application with a problem (Photos, in this case) and that's causing the problem. If you fix the problem, you won't have a RAM issue anymore. You don't need more RAM; you need to run better apps.
I know. I already said as much. Photos is the problem here, and I'm not saying otherwise. In fact, that was on my 24 GB iMac but when I got my Mac mini, I got 16 GB because that's generally all I need.

Given I suspect Apple would quickly fix any Photos memory leak problems, I am guessing there's a plug in or something else interfering with it.
Apple has not fixed this Photos problem after almost a decade. The problem is that if you have a very large library, and you try to export the originals from the entire library all at once, it will usually crash because of this memory problem. And this is a core Photos feature. I don't have any plug-ins installed at all.

It is especially stupid because zero image processing is actually necessary. All the original images are already within the database. $20 third party apps can do it with basically no memory usage.

Last edited:

foo2

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
I think we can agree, before we blame low RAM and think we need more memory, instead look in Activity Monitor for out-of-control errant/buggy processes, and kill them.

It's more common than one might hope.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
I have the usual corporate apps open usually-- MS Word, Outlook, Teams, and then the Adobe Suite-- usually use Adobe XD, occasionally some photoshop, illustrator or indesign, nothing really demanding there these days.
Personally I wouldn't get less than 32GB if I wanted to run the Adobe suite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.