Mac Mini/Mac Mini Server

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Uplift, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Uplift macrumors 6502

Can the non-server mac mini's be modified to take 2 hard drives? i've compared the dimensions and the standard/server models are exactly the same size so we must be able to fit a 2nd hdd in the non server model?

I ask because i'm thinking of replacing my NAS with a mac-mini, however, i don't need the server model because i technically don't need OSX Server and don't need to pay the high cost of it (compared to the standard mini) for the 2x1TB HDDs that i would be able to get much cheaper elsewhere.

I have a QNAP NAS TS219-P that i'm not really happy with, it costs me about £360 to get this up and running and i feel cheated, the read/write speeds are no good and it's extremely noisy when being accessed, it takes 2+mins to startup/shutdown and spec/features are limited..

So would something like this be a suitable replacement? i only really use it for file sharing, but it would be cool to have this hooked up to my TV so i don't need to go though XBOX or whatever to watch movies.

2. the27thvoice macrumors member

It has the exact same form factor as last year's model, and in that you could indeed install a second drive in the non-server model. The tricky part is the cable, you needed to order a special cable for the 2nd drive. A google search should provide a few.

As for this year, I haven't heard it specifically mentioned by teardowns if you can still do this or if Apple has filled that space with anything.