Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

which mac for me

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2018
I need advice. I'm currently using a 2011 macbook pro which is on its last legs and a 2017 10.5 inch iPad Pro. I have a 21 inch monitor, keyboard, and magic trackpad and I generally use the Macbook Pro as a desk top. The only things I really use it for are some more complicated word processing tasks (which could really be done on the iPad) and for getting movies and other videos I have stored on an external drive onto the iPad, and to back up the iPad and my iPhone. It also stores some important documents, like my resume, tax returns, student loan documents, transcripts, etc that need to be accessed and sent out occasionally.

I need to replace the Macbook Pro, but I can't decide with what. I use my iPad more than 95% of the time but there just seem to be a few tasks that I can't quite leave the full computer behind. I was planning to get a mac mini, but it's now only $130 less than a refurbished base 2017 iMac. I've thought about going iPad only, but I'm not sure. I have about 750 GBs of movies and such that I need to be able to get on and off the iPad. If I did go iPad only I'd want to get a new display to go with it because my current one does not have USB-C and I wouldn't want to lose the ability to go big screen if I want.

I'd probably buy a new magic trackpad with either a mac mini or iMac because mine is the old non-rechargeable style and it's missing one of the feet that click.

Is there something I'm overlooking as to why I can't go iPad only? I don't code, I don't edit video, I don't do heavy photo editing. I sometimes read and write long Word or Pages documents and that's about as heavy as my computing needs get. $800 plus extras feels like overkill for these needs. But I have a lot of video not purchased through iTunes that I need to keep my access too, and I don't want to store it on my iPad.

Any recommendations?

Reactions: Kingmanarts

ChrisChaval

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
Milan, Italy
iMacs are expected to be refreshed soon, so do not buy one now

since you do not seem to need a portable device and already own a keyboard, mouse and monitor, a Mac mini seems to be the logical choice

for setting up a plex server or just accessing video, an older model (2012 or 2014) should suffice. you should find them used or refurbished for cheap. the limitations would be the monitor resolution (no or only 30hz 4k) and, of course, future MacOS updates

I do not know if I would be willing to pay that much for the new Mac mini, even though it seems to be a great little machine
[doublepost=1541168951][/doublepost]there may be NAS solutions out there that support video streaming, too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.