Mac Mini...Many Decisions...Help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Scubastev013, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Scubastev013 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. I need some advice from some mac mini owners. Currently I have a Dell laptop with Vista (about 5 months old) that runs decently, but gives me a few major problems every once in a while. I also have a huge dell display. I really want to get over to the mac side of things in order to learn about it and also for editing movies, pictures, multimedia, etc. Here is the question though. Will I need the mini with the 2.00gHz processor? Does the 1.83 work fine for people under leopard? I'm planning on just going with the stock 1GB of RAM for now and upgrading it later myself. Also, I understand that the higher model has a superdrive. My Dell has as DVD burner on it already, so I don't know if I necessarily need it. Besides that, I would rather spend less money on the lower model if at all possible. Please let me know what you think!!

2. NEiMac macrumors regular

Not having the DVD burner can be really annoying once you find you want it. You can always get a external one later, but they don't work so well with iLife apps or at all in some cases. Not sure the processor means very much really. Memory is more important, you can upgrade the memory for less on your own and it will be cheaper that way. Its not as easy as doing it on allot of computers, but if you read up on it you should be able to handle it. Do you plan on doing anything extremely graphics intensive? If so you might not like the Intel Integrated Graphics in the Mini. That being said its a awesome little computer and can do quite a bit. Just not so good at Games and such. Might look at the lower end iMac too.

3. minoverta macrumors member

minoverta

I bought a new Mac mini Core2Duo 2.0GHz 1GB/120GB/SD five weeks ago and have no regret at all. First I was running different Leopards builds on my x86 but now I am happy with my Mac. It works a lot better and I don't have to do a kernel hacking anymore. I bought Leopard last friday on a local Apple store and couldn't wait to install this big cat. Now I am running Leopard and everything works like a charm, I couldn't be happier. It's stabel, fast and works smooth.

I don't know on a 1.83GHZ but on mine there's a Superdrive onboard witch can burn duallayer DVD's. If you want to edit movies I think you better buy an iMac bycose the videocard inside isn't strong enough (64MB) to do big things. I hear about these thing but I didn't try it. The only thing I use, about video, is iLife '08 and that's working great. To edit pictures with Photoshop CS3 is no problem and multimedia also but running programs such as Premiere??? I don't know.

4. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Any intel processor will handle Leopard just fine for years to come. Anything over and including 1GB will also be fine for Leopard, though more memory is never a bad decision.

5. kumoitojp macrumors newbie

Display

I have an older core duo 1.6mhz mac mini. I bought it expecting to upgrade the chip right away. But it's been powerful enough for most stuff and after nearly a year I'm still on the old chip. I do a bit of video editing. FCP works great but I don't think Motion would work.
    Max the ram! BTO might be the best bet. Leopard works great.
    You mentioned Dell Display. I have a 28 inch dell and the mini looks great on it! 1920 * 1200.
    I think the low end model is enough but you will never regret buying the better model.

6. FatSweatyBlldog macrumors regular

check apple refurbs on-line

if you check early in the am, the apple refurb store is selling the 2.0 core 2 duo mini's for $679. The 1.83 Core 2 Duo's are $499. Go for the 2.0 if you can swing it, but even the 1.83 Core Duo would be "good enogh"

7. boganrulz macrumors member

boganrulz

Im a little worried that my mac mini, 1.5 GHz core solo, will not be very good with the new OS installed.

Does anyone know if it will be alright or will i have to get a new mac.:confused:

8. nikiski macrumors regular

A quick note if you didn't catch it, the 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo has 2MB of cache, while the 2GHz has 4MB. Your choice. :)

9. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
  10. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Mine runs Leopard just fine thank you!:apple::D

11. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

I'm running leopard on a 1.5 core solo, with 512, it does all the basic stuff very decently.

It needs no argument that a faster processors or more memory makes the OS smoother, but on all accounts it works fine (for me)

12. Scubastev013 thread starter macrumors newbie

How often do they get those multiple choices on the refurbs? How did you know that they were going to appear? Thanks everyone for their help. I really appreciate it.