Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GustyPolo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Hey.

I have the 2009 Mac Mini and was wondering if the mini display port has audio output. Does anyone know? I just want to minimize the amount of cables going to my tv.

Thanks,

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Hey.

I have the 2009 Mac Mini and was wondering if the mini display port has audio output. Does anyone know? I just want to minimize the amount of cables going to my tv.

Thanks,

I don't believe that Apple supported audio over mini-DisplayPort until the MacBook Pros released earlier this year. I think from that point on any Macs released with mini-DisplayPort then supported audio over it. I believe in your case you need a separate audio cable.

bzollinger

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
Everything my research discovered is that the early and late 2009 mini's don't support audio over mini display port.

I even tried it with no go.

So I'm running optical out to my AV reciever and mini display port to HDMI for video.

For a second audio option I'm going to leverage the "zone 2" feature of my AV reciever.

GustyPolo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Thanks for the responses. Right now I'm just using a 3.5mm jack into my tv. I dont have an av receiver yet. I just wanted to see if I could get rid of that 3.5mm jack and then when I purchased an av reciever I could just use the optical out on my hdtv.

In terms of getting the audio out of mdp, would it be a matter of a firmware upgrade or does the port in these machines just not have the power to move audio?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.