Mac Mini March 2009 - Mini Display Port Audio?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by GustyPolo, Aug 12, 2010.

1. GustyPolo macrumors newbie

Hey.

I have the 2009 Mac Mini and was wondering if the mini display port has audio output. Does anyone know? I just want to minimize the amount of cables going to my tv.

Thanks,

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I don't believe that Apple supported audio over mini-DisplayPort until the MacBook Pros released earlier this year. I think from that point on any Macs released with mini-DisplayPort then supported audio over it. I believe in your case you need a separate audio cable.

3. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Everything my research discovered is that the early and late 2009 mini's don't support audio over mini display port.

I even tried it with no go.

So I'm running optical out to my AV reciever and mini display port to HDMI for video.

For a second audio option I'm going to leverage the "zone 2" feature of my AV reciever.

4. Thermonuclear macrumors 6502

I'm fairly sure that the 2009 Mac Mini (Mac Mini 3,1) will shove audio through the mini DP output -- if you're converting to HDMI and have the right cable.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/CBLMDPHDMI/

Note that not all HDTV HDMI inputs handle audio input; this is actually a good thing for sources where the audio is carried separately.

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Mini 2009 does not have audio over MDP - it simply isn't in that iteration of the 9400m chipset.

6. GustyPolo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses. Right now I'm just using a 3.5mm jack into my tv. I dont have an av receiver yet. I just wanted to see if I could get rid of that 3.5mm jack and then when I purchased an av reciever I could just use the optical out on my hdtv.

In terms of getting the audio out of mdp, would it be a matter of a firmware upgrade or does the port in these machines just not have the power to move audio?

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Yes, the audio ports are dual analog/digital (optical). Just plug in a mini-Toslink cable and it'll work.

No, a firmware update will not fix your gen Mini. The NVidia chipset simply does not have audio over MDP.