Mac mini media server

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by maelstromr, Sep 27, 2011.

1. maelstromr macrumors 6502

maelstromr

I am probably going to get a mini to run airplay to an Apple TV downstairs - putting several hundred gbs of ripped dvds and other video directly on its harddrive. Am I correct that the new $599 base machine is more than enough for this task? There's no benefit to higher graphics or processing capabilities to this kind of project, right?

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

It'll do fine :).. I'd suggest an aftermarket RAM upgrade to at least 4GB, but 8GB is about $45 these days.

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

From my experience, you don't even need to spend money on a RAM upgrade. Any base mini, even earlier generation ones, will serve files just fine.

4. KScottMyers macrumors regular

Doing this now with the base model - works great.

You're steaming - so for best performance, strive for the fastest connectively as possible.

5. Darien Red Sox macrumors regular

Has anyone tried a G4 mini as a media server? If so how well did it work, I am getting tired of lugging my MBP downstairs to the TV to watch iTunes stuff on the big screen and see a Apple TV in my future.

6. bobbywatson, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

bobbywatson macrumors newbie

I used my 1.25 Ghz G4 mini as an SMB file server for XBMC on my Apple TV for quite a while (over a wired network) and it worked flawlessly with 720p MKV files.

However, I would not expect a G4 Mac mini to be able to perform on-the-fly format conversion or anything similar.

7. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Go the mac mini.

A great media server with PLex

8. mchekaluk macrumors newbie

Any benefit in upgrading to the 7200 RPM drive?

Mike

9. KScottMyers macrumors regular

The stock drive is very slow, but as a media server I think you're fine. It won't have any problem streaming.

If this was your daily desktop Mac, I'd definitely upgrade the drive. Preferable to a SSD.

10. Wavell macrumors regular

Wavell

+1

I'm running a late 2009 mac mini with just 2Gb RAM / Lion and it streams HD movies quite happily to multiple devices at the same time from a firewired DRobo :)

11. rokey macrumors member

My 2011 MM base 8GB RAM is connected (to my tv) in my living room (hey everyone), and is used as my personal computer / video streamer & entertainment hub. With 2GB RAM it felt very sluggish, it would have been great with even 4GB (current usage is 3.55GB, less if I restart Mail). Though 8GB has it's merits.

If the Mini is just a server for the files, you could just as easily rip the videos into the format that your TV plays directly, load them to Ext. HDD and plug that into your TV. Then you dont have to buy an extra Mac. You should buy the Mac anyways though, it's awesome!!!