Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

natasha69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
is this something apple offers? i have the latest model, and it only has 1 Gig of RAM in it, with an open slot. thinking about upgrading to 4 Gigs, but not sure if this is a standard kit I can buy from Apple? I looked on their store/website and saw nothing, and most google searches showed third party kits.

Can someone shed some more light on this for me?
Thanks,
N

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
I believe the current one only has a single memory slot, just as it is on my core duo model. Apple tends to offer build to order options on the macmini, just not aftermarket. Probably due to the difficulty in getting the case a part to install it. ie. non-user serviceable.

Crucial or one of the other 3rd parties will serve you handsomely.

I`d invest in a putty knife if you intend on installing it yourself. :D

Jabbamk1

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
London, England
The 09 Mac Mini can support up to 4GB or Ram. It has 2 slots with a max of 2GB in each. I recommend you buy the memory from crucial.com as it is cheaper and it has the exact type.

There are lots of tuts on youtube telling you how to open the mini and install the memory.

natasha69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007

shergill

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2007
haven't had a chance to use the mini enough to answer that objectively... I could say things feel 'snappier'; but that would be a guess on my part :D

Thermonuclear

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2009
I don't remember. I can't recall BareFeats popping six or eight in to see what happens, but I could be wrong.

Though it could still be a chipset limitation for whatever they're using in the newest Mac Mini.

The 2009 Mac Mini (I bought one two weeks ago) has two SoDIMM slots and each has a maximum capacity of 2 GB.

OWC: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_Mac_mini/DDR3

I've been a customer of theirs for quite a while and I'm satisfied with their service.

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
I did the upgrade yesterday, as long as you take your time and have the right tools (mainly a thin putty knife) it isn't that difficult.

The youTube video is a HUGE help.

Cheers.

lisaann

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2009
If I could, could I ask, would it cause problems to install just one 2gb module alongside the original 1gb?

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I upgraded a week after I got my mini. you can't run parallels with 1 gig. the computer ran the same but things like playing videos in itunes ha no pauses anymore. far less of the beachball. now windows runs fast.

lisaann

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2009
Thank you Krafty!
I was just trying to find a cheap way out.
But if performance is an issue.....

lisaann

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2009
Well, I broke down and went for a 4 gb kit at frys. I will attempt the upgrade now.
I also have a 320gb wd 7200 drive to go in at the same time. I upgraded my original last generation mini with 4gb of ddr2 and the same 320gb drive five months ago. But it died a few weeks ago, so I put the original ram and hdd back in and had the apple store try to repair it. They replaced the logic board and it still would not boot, so the replaced it with a newer model. So now I am upgrading again, and get to use that spatula again...
And now I have to try to find a use for 4gb of ddr2...

lisaann

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2009
Well....
I'm back!:D
The surgery went well!
My little mini sees 4 gb of ram with 256 of video and my hard drive has returned along with all my data and music. I can actually just barely hear the fan now, where I couldn't before. Maybe I didn't re-stick the hdd heat sensor on as good as it was before? Or maybe it is just my ears ringing because I am so happy and on a natural high?
But anyways, this newer mini was a little easier to upgrade than the last generation. The drive ribbon cable actually has a connector and they got rid of that little connector on the front of the main board. I just wish I had a screwdriver that was magnetized....

I'd like to thank Krafty for helping, and rgarjr for supporting me, and Natasha69 for starting this thread, and all of you here for providing this wonderful site that has informed and inspired me.
Thank you all so much!

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
What steeenking heat sensor?
Theres a cord that is stuck to one end of the HD. If you plan on upgrading the HD, you have to peel off the end of the wire thats stuck to it with double sided tape.
Dyco2fL2SZcC4Zoh.large

Its the little black cord hanging out on the bottom of the image.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
I replaced the standard 120 GB hdd from the basic mini early 2009 with an OCZ Vertex ssd. I also placed that "sensor" on the disk. The Vertex doesn't have a temperature sensor inside it. In iStat Pro (and other software) the ssd temperature reported 0 degrees so it takes the input from the temp. sensor inside the hdd/ssd and not that thing in the outside. It could be another temp. sensor, maybe the one that is measuring the temperature inside the mini (ambient temp.).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.