Mac Mini Mid 2011 - Sierra VS High Sierra

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Almogos, Sep 14, 2018.


Should I Upgrade My Mac Mini Mid 2011 To High Sierra 10.13.6?

  1. Yes You Should!

  2. Don't Do That..

  1. Almogos macrumors newbie

    Sep 14, 2018
    Hi Everyone!

    I got a Mac Mini Mid 2011 with:

    2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
    AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB
    8GB of RAM
    128GB SSD for OS and 1TB WD Black for user folders

    Currently running 10.12.6. Overall the performance is fine along fast boot times.

    I'm really wondering if I should upgrade to High Sierra.

    Would love to hear your feedback about this machine\OS version.


  2. goldbuffalo macrumors member

    Jun 8, 2017
    Go for it. I have mid 2011 but with i7 no issues. Mohave is not recommended for us though.
  3. Partron22 macrumors 68020


    Apr 13, 2011
    You'll have longer boot times with High Sierra.
    Other than that I'm not seeing a lot of difference between the two OS.
    I'll wait til Sierra no longer gets security updates to switch it to High Sierrs.
  4. tedson macrumors regular

    Jul 17, 2002
    Sure, why not, I didn't notice any difference in boot time on my mid 2011 Mini. (I used an SSD boot drive with both Sierra and High Sierra)
  5. uller6 macrumors regular


    May 14, 2010
    I have the lowest end 2.3 GHz i5 2011 mini with 2T SSD and 16 GB RAM as my server. It's noticeably slower on High Sierra than it was with Sierra, but too much of a pain to downgrade - I recommend holding out with Sierra as long as possible.
  6. Fishrrman macrumors P6


    Feb 20, 2009
    "Currently running 10.12.6. Overall the performance is fine along fast boot times."

    My vote is to "stay put" ... unless and until you have "real reasons" to move upwards.

    I see no real benefits to a Low Sierra --> High Sierra "upgrade" at this point.

    You might soon be wanting one of the new Minis, anyway!
  7. tibas92013 macrumors 6502

    Jun 2, 2013
    Costa Rica
    Almogos, Please excuse the "piggyback" but I have a MM(Late 2012)2.5GHz, 16GB Ram, 500GB HD; so, should I upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra? As of this moment I do not plan on upgrading to High Sierra due to the "spinner' HD.
  8. Almogos thread starter macrumors newbie

    Sep 14, 2018
    Mojave is not available :(

    Thanks for the response!
    --- Post Merged, Oct 1, 2018 ---
    Sounds like a plan :) I think this is what I will do for now!

    --- Post Merged, Oct 1, 2018 ---

    You think the new Minis are on their way? :)
    --- Post Merged, Oct 1, 2018 ---

    I really recommend you to upgrade your HD to SSD or maybe add second SSD in addition to your main HD, this is what I did, I Have 128GB SSD for my OS and 1TB HD for my user account :)

Share This Page

7 September 14, 2018