Mac Mini Monitors

ijlakw

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2013
Well... finally going to take the plunge and move into the Mac Mini.

I'm likely interested in an ultrawide but not sure I wouldn't be better off with multiple 27". I will not be gaming, but I will be consuming media (a lot I think).

Any recommendations?

Stephen.R

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Personally I find multiple "regular" displays works very well, because (a) there's much more choice of models (b) you have "retina"/High DPI options, and (c) IMO macOS works quite well with multiple displays, it works less well if you want to keep stuff organised across a single very big display.

It will depend a lot on your eyesight and your desk setup etc too. If you're sitting back a long way, the DPI on a 27" 4K may well be fine. If your eyesight is not great, thats possibly the case too.

weaztek

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009
Madison
My LG 32UD59-B is not an ultra-wide but it's 4k, a great price and works well with the 2018 Mini!

Stephen.R

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
My LG 32UD59-B is not an ultra-wide but it's 4k, a great price and works well with the 2018 Mini!
Im always curious about how people use that size display?

Do you run it at native 4k res (i.e. @1x, non 'retina'?) or using a scaled resolution? and if so, what res?

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ

Do you run it at native 4k res (i.e. @1x, non 'retina'?) or using a scaled resolution? and if so, what res?
I've been using a 32" Eizo (desktop model, not the pro model) for several years now (first with a trashcan Mac Pro, and now with a 2018 Mini). I run it at the native 3840x2160 resolution. Many screen elements can be adjusted larger, such as font size in apps, zoom level in Safari, etc., but the native OS elements remain small (the menu bar at the top, some Apple apps, such as System Preferences, Activity Monitor etc.). I have a good prescription for computer glasses that puts my focus right at the distance I sit away (28"), so there are no problems with almost everything. The gain in screen "real estate" at that resolution is wonderful. However, I think a 36" monitor would be the sweet spot for 3840x2160 resolution.

weaztek

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009
Madison

Good question. Through trial and error, I find that I like "looks like 3008x1692". Otherwise at 4k text and elements get way small for me to read.

mmomega

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Well... finally going to take the plunge and move into the Mac Mini.

I'm likely interested in an ultrawide but not sure I wouldn't be better off with multiple 27". I will not be gaming, but I will be consuming media (a lot I think).

Any recommendations?
My wife has the Samsung curved 49" 5K2K.
It's essentially 2 - 27" 1440p monitors without having 2 separate monitors.
144Hz
USB 3 Hub built-in

I may be a little jealous of her.