Mac Mini MUCH Snappier With 1 GB RAM

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
7,478
205
visiting from downstream
Hey all, just upgraded my 1.42 GHz Mac mini from 256 MB to 1 GB RAM... it's MUCH faster with the extra RAM. If you have a Mac mini, I definitely recommend maxing out your RAM.

Memory purchased from 18004memory.com, if you're interested in doing the same... they had the best price ($166) I could find anywhere.
 

boneca

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2005
301
0
Boston, MA
clayjohanson said:
Hey all, just upgraded my 1.42 GHz Mac mini from 256 MB to 1 GB RAM... it's MUCH faster with the extra RAM. If you have a Mac mini, I definitely recommend maxing out your RAM.

Memory purchased from 18004memory.com, if you're interested in doing the same... they had the best price ($166) I could find anywhere.
are you sure its $166 not $199 as it says on they web site? what brand of memory is it?
 

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
7,478
205
visiting from downstream
boneca said:
are you sure its $166 not $199 as it says on they web site? what brand of memory is it?
Here's the link:

Mac mini 1 GB RAM upgrade

One minor mistake... it was actually $165, not $166. I think it's VData RAM.

EDIT: I read in a couple of places that although the Mac mini comes with PC3200 RAM, it actually only runs it at PC2700 speed. So, if replacing the memory, it doesn't make sense to buy anything faster than PC2700, which is what I did. At any rate, the machine is DEFINITELY much zippier than it was with only 256 MB RAM.
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
How would it have run on 512MB RAM? Probably the same zippiness as long as you don't have more than 3-4 apps open at any one time.
 

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
7,478
205
visiting from downstream
boneca said:
I guess when you bought it, it was $165 now it says $185 if you click on the link :confused:
Still says $165 for me, and yes, I did refresh the page.

EDIT: Dang, NOW it shows as $185. Guess they're trying to capitalize on all of the upgraders out there.

Lacero said:
How would it have run on 512MB RAM? Probably the same zippiness as long as you don't have more than 3-4 apps open at any one time.
Not sure... but I didn't want to run into any issues by just going to 512 MB. This way, I figure I'm maxed out, so even if I suspect I'm short on memory, there's nothing I can do about it. :rolleyes:
 

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
721
1
I noticed the same thing going from 512MB to 2GB on my PowerBook. Panther sure loves its RAM.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.