Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joemamma55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
I just bought 4gb of Crucial RAM for my late 2009 Mini (bought just last week). I put in 4g (2x2) and it doesn't boot up and I get the 1 beep. I then switched them (tried to put them in different slots) and it still didn't work. Then I finally put in 3gb (2x1) and it works.

Any Ideas? Just spend $120 on RAM and it won't work will all 4 gbs!

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Macs are notorious for being picky regarding RAM, was the RAM purchased from Crucial's site and is it specifically for your flavor of Mac mini? Are you sure the 2x2 are fully seated? Did you try each 2GB stick individually and in each slot to see if one or the other is the problem?

joemamma55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
I bought the RAM from microcenter (trusted computer store). And i just ran a hardware test (hold "d" while bootup) and I did extended and normal and it found no problems. When I ran the test I had 2g x 1g RAM.

I dont know what you mean by seated. If you mean put in correctly, they are nice and tightly in there. I put them in at 25 degree angles then pushed them down to lock in with the pins.

I really want to run my 4gb of RAM. Please help!

The tag on the box says...

CRUCIAL 2 - 2gb 204 - Pin SODIMM 256MX64 DDR3 PC3 - 8500 CL7

I'm pretty sure this is compatable with Mac Minis

joemamma55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
UPDATE...........

After going through every emotion possible and wanting to break this stupid box, I got it working.

I figured why not give it one more shot. I popped in the RAM and got that magical boot up sound. Then put everything together and BAM, all working.

Overall, after this experience, I won't be upgrading for a long time.....

ALSO....

When I pulled apart the hard drive and disc drive, those antennas and airport things got pulled of a blue card attached to the board. What was left was hanging wires with very little pop on things at the end of the wire. I went back to the card and connected them (they popped right back). Is that alright, did I do anything wrong of break anything? (this is my first time opening the mac)

Thanks in advance and for all the replies.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
I bought the RAM from microcenter (trusted computer store). And i just ran a hardware test (hold "d" while bootup) and I did extended and normal and it found no problems. When I ran the test I had 2g x 1g RAM.

I dont know what you mean by seated. If you mean put in correctly, they are nice and tightly in there. I put them in at 25 degree angles then pushed them down to lock in with the pins.

I really want to run my 4gb of RAM. Please help!

The tag on the box says...

CRUCIAL 2 - 2gb 204 - Pin SODIMM 256MX64 DDR3 PC3 - 8500 CL7

I'm pretty sure this is compatable with Mac Minis

By seated I meant installed correctly. I looked at the Crucial web site and from what little I know of RAM specs it looks like that is the correct RAM. I've heard of people buying RAM (even Crucial from 3rd party vendors) that was said to be compatible with their Mac that wouldn't work and when the RAM was purchased from Crucial or a place that guaranteed the RAM to work that it did.

The only thing I can suggest is to take out all of your old RAM, install 1 stick of the new RAM and try booting it. If that doesn't work then try the same stick in the other slot. Repeat until you've tried both new sticks in both slots. This would probably be the best way to see if there is a problem with the RAM and whether or not it's both sticks. If you determine there is indeed a problem then I'd return them to Micro Center for replacement or refund. Crucial.com lists a 4GB set of RAM for your mini at $119.99 (free shipping), so it looks like it's about the same cost if you need to go that route.

UPDATE...........

After going through every emotion possible and wanting to break this stupid box, I got it working.

I figured why not give it one more shot. I popped in the RAM and got that magical boot up sound. Then put everything together and BAM, all working.

Overall, after this experience, I won't be upgrading for a long time.....

ALSO....

When I pulled apart the hard drive and disc drive, those antennas and airport things got pulled of a blue card attached to the board. What was left was hanging wires with very little pop on things at the end of the wire. I went back to the card and connected them (they popped right back). Is that alright, did I do anything wrong of break anything? (this is my first time opening the mac)

Thanks in advance and for all the replies.

Glad to hear that you got it working. I believe that those are just tiny little connectors and as you did you have to reconnect them to the connector on the board. If your Airport and Bluetooth are working then I imagine everything will be fine. Here's a repair guide for the mini from iFixit.com, look it over and it'll help you understand how everything comes apart/goes together, may be helpful for future upgrades.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.