Mac Mini needs replacing - where do I go from here?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Muttster, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Muttster macrumors member

Needs your suggestions and ideas - seems that Apple and i am going into different directions.

I have had Apple computers for the last 20 years, starting with the Apple IIC and ending with a mid 2011 Mac Mini sever with an i7 2Ghz Core and 8gb of memory. I'm noticing that it is getting a little old int he tooth and now i want to upgrade. I don't have the savy or the desire to put a SSD in the unit so its time to upgrade.

I would like to stay with Apple but I'm toying with getting a PC simply because I would like to play some war games and simulations that are not available on the mac platform. I have heard that the new Mac Minis are less powerful than the older ones so that doesn't appear to be an option if that information is correct. I could also go with an IMac but I already have a nice 27" monitor and I don't want to spend a minimum of $1700 on a new iMac. In the $700-$1000 range which is where I want to be, I will probably be looking at a 2011-2012 iMac which I don't know would be that significant of an upgrade from what i have now. I also thought of an older Mac Pro (I have an old 1,1 Mac Pro laying around collecting dust now) but don't know if that would be an upgrade.

So what would you suggest - do I or stick with the Mac line or go with the PC (which would be a lot cheaper probably)? Seems that the Macs are either very cheap or very expensive with little in the mid point.

2. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

The ssd part is easy my mini was dying and I did not want to open a new one and add the drive so I just used a external usb3 case just popped the drive out of the old into the case and booted the new

3. amyhughes macrumors newbie

A frustration of mine, and of many people, for a very long time. No mid-range, headless Mac.

I have a late 2009 Mini in which I've replaced the internal drive with a 1TB SSD and upgraded the memory first to 4GB, then to 8GB. Still a useful machine with these upgrades, but one of my video ports is dead and the DVD drive won't read dual-layer discs. It's time to replace this machine before it dies on me altogether, but the last Mini refresh, now more than a year ago, was lackluster. The next Mini better be awesome and it better come quick, or I'm going to try an Intel NUC or similar.

If I had the desk space, the easily-upgraded PC with discrete graphics card that I already have would become my main machine. It does not escape me that this inexpensive, two-year-old PC runs circles around anything Mac-wise I'm likely to put on my desk.

Mid-range Mac, please, Apple!

4. phrehdd, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016

phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Sadly, if you want to stay Mac and use Windows, you could dual boot an iMac. The Mac Mini of late, top of the line, is anemic save for apps that use only a single core of the CPU. The higher end iMacs on the other hand beat out the low end Mac Pro on many types of software tests. I am in agreement with you that I myself may soon no longer fit in the Apple world. As for your budget, you could buy a nice PC and build even a nicer one to match whatever specs you want.

5. Silver78, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016

Silver78 macrumors 6502

Silver78

My first advice would have been to go for a skylake NUC but with VR at our doorstep and a bit of calculation you could for about 25% more than a nuc with ram and ssd go for a home build i7 skylake (6700k) and run onboard graphics and then later expand with graphicscard more ram and ssd

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

If you want to game with simulators you will probably need a desktop GPU, that pretty much rules out all but the highest end iMacs (it's still a mobile solution but not too bad) and the mac pro.

Just go with a PC it will give you far more bang for your buck and fit straight in with screens and peripherals you already have.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Seems like you're spending a lot of money on a 5 year old computer to me. If gaming, simulations and running windows are part of your requirements then I think you'll be better suited with a windows machine.

For instance, you can get an XPS 8900 for under a thousand dollars, its running the latest chipset, has a much better GPU and its upgradeable. Instead of trying to shoehorn your usage into an ill fitting configuration, get the tool that best fits the job