Mac Mini no 720p support on my tv

Discussion in 'macOS' started by The Stig, Feb 16, 2010.

1. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

I got a mac mini to use just with my samsung tv. My tv supports up to 1080i, but using 1080i is unreadable because it is too small of a font for my tv, but there is not option for 720p. The only resolutions it has are:

604*480
    480p
    1080i

I'm using mini-dvi to dvi with an HDMI adapter to HDMI into my tv. The mac mini is 2ghz the Nvidia graphics card.

I tried using SwitchResX and displayconfigx but SwitchResX doesn't seem to work, I can't seem to add a resolution to the display, maybe I'm not sure how it works. Displayconfigx I just can't get it to to work at all. I'm sure my tv support 720p, if not, I'd like to at least use a resolution close to it. I just upgraded from leopard to snow leopard and it worked in leopard just fine. Is there another way to add resolutions?

Thanks for the help.

The Stig

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Do you see 1080P in the display settings for the TV?

It could be the TV doesn't support progressive scan. Never heard of that but it's possible.

What brand/make TV is it?

3. The Stig thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Stig

The tv is a Samsung HC-P4363W, or something really close to it.

Well I think it support 720, It support 480p so it isn't just about progressive scan. I would think it would at least support 720i. Even if I can't get it to 720p, I'd like something that would look good between 1080i and 480p. 1080 is too small, and 480 is too big.

4. The Stig thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Stig

And there is no 1080p option. The tv doesn't support 1080p.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The Samsung HDP4363W is a 2004-era CRT-based rear-projection HD-ready TV set with built-in DVD player. The only digital input is a single HDMI port. In my considered opinion, the OP's attempts to connect this TV to his Mac is a fool's errand. Even modern 1080p flat-panel sets make poor computer monitors. A CRT-based rear-projection set of unspecified resolution? Forget about it.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

On page 17 of your user manual, it talks about connecting via DVI through HDMI, and you'll find this gem:

"The DIGITAL INPUT jack can only be used with 1080i and 480p picture signals. Set the DTV decoder DIGITAL OUTPUT jack output setting to 1080i or 480p. The DIGITAL INPUT jack is not compatible with the picture signal of a PC."

The manual only ever mentions 480p and 1080i resolutions...looks like the set cannot handle Progressive scan signals greater than 480 lines of resolution (or at least not 720).

7. The Stig thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Stig

Hmmm, yeah, I figured it might of been my tv. I'll forget about using the 720p option, but I know other resolutions will work. When Tiger was installed they worked and were in the list. I used just the regular 1024*768 and it looked good enough. After upgrading to 10.6 I lost all those. How do I get all those normal resolutions back?