mac mini no video...bad logic board?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by bsting397, Jan 31, 2010.

1. bsting397 macrumors newbie

I have an acer 20" lcd and it has dvi-d, is that causing issues with the mac mini or is the logic board probably bad? it works on every other unit i plug it to.

already reset pmu, and tried troubleshooting each device... cleaned out the whole mini and checked all the connections/seatings.

did tdm, snow leopard's running on the hard drive.

is there a way to run the efi 3s116 via firewire?

2. bsting397 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

the dvi - d should not make a difference because the minis using dvi - i as far as i know (dont beat me if i'm wrong there ) means dvi socket has 2 or 4 pins more which are for analogue signal if you would use a vga adapter ,
    so you should simply be able to use a dvi-d to dvi-d cable and get digital signal from the mini on your screen

does the mini show the monitor in system prefs > screens and in" about this mac more info "

4. pokeyjoe macrumors newbie

Are you using the mini Displayport or the mini DVI on the Mini? The mini-display port caused me nothing but headaches. The mini-DVI works fine.

5. bsting397 thread starter macrumors newbie

it's the dvi-i model

i'm using dvi-d to dvi-d, i'm going to check via firewire whether it recognizes the monitor or not...(if possible?)

6. ADent macrumors 6502a

Sounds like the 2006-2009 mini with the one video port.

I have gotten mine with no video out a couple of time - like when I moving it around the power cord falls out.

IIRC (it has been a long time) I hooked it up to the VGA input on the monitor to get video working and then put it asleep and switched back to DVI.

7. bsting397 thread starter macrumors newbie

no display still

i tried checking to see if it would recognize it via firewire, the monitor blinks on and off like it's receiving a signal, but won't display anything.

so i need to use a dvi-vga adapter to get display?

any other suggestions on troubleshooting?