Price Advice Mac Mini (Oct. 2009) w/Apple Care

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Centient, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Centient macrumors 6502

Hi All,

Looking to sell my Mac Mini, Model MC239LL/A, purchased in April 2010. It's in great shape, and I have all the accessories, box, stickers, etc... It still has 1 full year of Apple Care on it.

Looking at ebay, Amazon, etc... and it looks like I could expect between $550 - 600ish for a similar Mini through those sources. However, I can't find any Mini's that still have the balance of Apple Care on them.

I guess my question is two-fold.

How much could I expect to sell my machine for?

And/or what would you say Apple Care adds to the selling price of a machine?

TIA for any advice/help! :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay, or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what you may be able to charge. Then adjust your price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Keep in mind that you can get a base current model for $569 from Amazon, BHPhotoVideo, etc, and the Core i series are a world's improvement over the C2D. I'd say you might be able to get $425-450 on the high side for it, including the AppleCare. 360-380 without the warranty.

4. Centient thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, as you'll note in my original post I did in fact check those sources before posting.

Not sure if you read my post, but I do have 1 year of Apple Care remaining on it. In fact the remaining Apple Care really the only reason I posted this question at all.

Apple Care is the unknown 'variable' here as I can find and nail down a general idea of pricing for Mini w/o Apple Care ($550-ish). As mine has 1 year of Apple Care remaining, I'm just not sure what to expect.

Thanks!

----------

Thumbs up.

Thanks for the advice. It's the Apple Care that was giving me pause. Just wasn't sure how much value it added to a machine. This helps.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You didn't mention Mac2Sell, which many have claimed they've never heard of. There's no way to know in advance if you've checked them or not.
    Yes, I read your post. That's why I responded. As to the value that AppleCare brings, it's impossible to be specific, since it matters greatly to some buyers and not at all to others. Whether it adds value and how much it adds depends on the buyer's priorities.

6. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Agreed. Before the 2011's, all (with the exception of the G4's) mini's had some form of Core series in them for processors (either core solo, core duo or core2duo). The i series in mac Mini's really was a bit of a game changer from a processing power perspective. It really reduced the value of the 2009 and 2010 Mac Minis (especially). Some will argue that the 2010's still have a lot of value since they still have optical drives, but it doesn't change the fact they are still running a derivative of a 6 year old processor at this point.