Mac Mini on TV ~ connector question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by blackscooby, Apr 23, 2007.

1. blackscooby macrumors 6502

blackscooby

Hi,

Tomorrow I'm having a 32" Sony LCD delivered, and want to connect my Mini to the TV.

The TV has both VGA and HDMI connectors, speaking to the Apple guy at the weekend he recommended using DVI > HDMI connector rather than DVI > VGA on the TV.

Is he correct with this, would HDMI be better than VGA ?

Thanks

Mark

2. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

Yup. DVI > VGA = Digital > Analog > Digital conversion = Degradation (though hard to spot).
    DVI > HDMI = Sweet Digital all the way through.

Just remember you'll need to get audio into the TV somehow if not to a surround sound amp. Some TV's will expect the audio to be in the HDMI cable which it won't be, you'll be feeding it in to some audio in port. Some tv's allow you to seperately specify an audio in channel for a particular video in channel.

M.

3. blackscooby thread starter macrumors 6502

blackscooby

Cool thanks, so digital all the way then :)
    Sound issue is already in hand, 3.5mm to phono to Denon HiFi, or I could put it into TV via 3.5mm to phono input.

Bought a 10m 3.5mm to phono lead on Saturday. Looks a monster but works OK when tested with walkman CD player.

4. NuDarwin macrumors member

NuDarwin

consumer rights issues aside, i think that HDMI is waaaayyyy better than VGA. I'd choose it any day.

5. blackscooby thread starter macrumors 6502

blackscooby

I'll let y'all know tomorrow when I'm up and running on the LCD TV :cool:

Can't wait :apple:

6. VinceVegaUK macrumors newbie

Cool, let me know what cable you get! I have a mac book and a 32inch LCD, the only way i can find to connect it to the HDMI is to by a mini dvi to dvi cable then to buy a DVI to HDMI adapter, so far i havent found a direct mini DVI to HDMI cable.

My sound will be going to the surrond sound so no worries there! I could use a VGA setup but my xbox 360 is already plugged in there and i get a way better picture on VGA than using composite.

Let me know how it goes.

later

VV