Mac Mini Optical drive

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by zildjansg, Aug 6, 2010.

1. zildjansg macrumors 6502

Is my Mac Mini Intel C2D 1.83ghz Optical drive the same with my 15" non-uni Macbook pro?Do they have the same mounting?

Thank you very much in advance.

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I doubt it, the mounting system is going to be different.

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Actually, the majority of the super drives Apple uses are the same, whilst the mount is probably different, it'll still probably fit.

4. zildjansg thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the quick reply guys, as far as what the "google" say,its quite the same since they have same voltage and amperage..but im just a bit doubtful if it will really fit on the mini's mounting(unless I will open both and see for myself:D)

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

FYI: I don't recall which Macs this applies to, but Apple used to use PATA optical drives and recently switched to SATA.

6. zildjansg thread starter macrumors 6502

is the mounting of the PATA from SATA diff?I mean is it the same case with the HDD from PATA (IDE) to SATA?

thanks

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Sorry, I don't have any idea. You could try looking at the teardowns that iFixit.com does and see if you can determine if there's a difference for the models you're interested in.

8. zildjansg thread starter macrumors 6502

15" MBP non-uni's optical drive(on top) is a bit thinner/slimmer than the mini's(below)..it has the same mounting though.
    [​IMG]

9. mangrove macrumors 6502

I unserstand Mac notebooks mostly have 9.5mm SD's and Mini's and iMacs have 12.5 or 12-7mm (can't remember which) SD's.

Don't know if this helps.:)

10. brouni macrumors newbie

Mac mini

Thanks for the quick reply guys, as far as what the "google" say,its quite the same since they have same voltage and amperage..but im just a bit doubtful if it will really fit on the mini's mounting(unless I will open both and see for myself.;)