mac mini or appletv?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dwd3885, Jun 26, 2008.

1. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

i recently purchased an hdtv and already have an iMac. I am interested in streaming or at least hooking up either an appletv or mac mini to my hdtv and watch video on my tv through that. just for tv shows or movies. What have most people done here? i understand the refurb appletv is like $279 and a refurb mac mini is around $250 more.

Any thoughts on which small apple device to buy?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I have a mini which I use with OSXBMC as an HTPC and I have a couple of extra FW400 disks attached for storage as well as Time Machine backups for my other Macs around the house. Its a bit more fiddly to set up and operate than an :apple:TV but if you are not going to be using iTunes to get the content, I think its a better arrangement.

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I have an AppleTV and stream all of my content to it through my time capsule. It works great plus you can rent HD movies on the AppleTV.

I did run into one bug when I hooked up an airport extreme base station as a wireless bridge. It didn't seem to want to sync with iTunes. I'm guessing that something is wrong with that base station though since it is the very first 802.11n model that Apple sold.

I would recommend the AppleTV unless you plan on surfing the web or doing other things on your new TV.

4. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

i guess if i got the mac mini i'd need to get a dvi to vga adapter. but that isn't an issue. i probably won't be surfing the net on it, but i could go to sites like abc.com and watch video in full hd from the website, instead of purchasing from itunes or downloading a torrent. so that counts as surfing the web i suppose.

i think the mini would be more complete media center option, where as the appletv would be mainly a streaming option..idk.

any more thoughts?

5. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

The only thing you would miss out on with a Mini would be HD move rentals. They're only available through an AppleTV.

6. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I'm about to trade my ATv in for a mini. I don't rent movies often, but I've got a ton of mkv videos. :)

7. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

i've heard that the whole experience is better on the appletv. as in, all you need is the remote, no keyboard, etc. you don't need front row, and front row doesn't work as smoothly as the appletv application. any thoughts on that? making me lean towards an apple tv instead of a mini.

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The biggest advantage of a Mini is that you can run XBMC on it. It is the best playback software available in terms of decoding power. Quicktime, even with Perian, is pretty weak in comparison.

The biggest disadvantage is the interaction needed with the Mini. ATV has it beat in that area. AC3 passthrough is also easier to work up on the ATV.

9. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Is your content you want to stream compatible on the AppleTV w/o additional actions (e.g. transcoding)?

http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html

If the answer is no, then you'll rue the day you bought the AppleTV...Best case, you could cobble up something in Automator to do it - but even then you have an issue with a generational loss of quality.

Edit to add: I recall reading about a company that will send you out a flash drive with some extra codecs on it for the AppleTV, but thats another 50$ and interfaces changes.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Comes with the mini.

11. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

that's sweet. hopefully if i buy it here on macrumors it will be included too :)

is there such thing as a dvi>hdmi converter? is the best way to connect it through the vga? what about sound

12. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

13. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Yes, the converters for DVI > HDMI do exist, and are pretty cheap from monoprice.com, about 3 - 5$. Incidentally, I run my computer DVI through a 4 port HDMI switch and use a hybrid cable, also from monoprice, that has DVI on one end and HDMI on the other (cost: ~7$). For sound, the Mini has an optical out, so you can use any fiber-optic cable you like, so long as it has the adapter on the end, which all seem to do.

Hybrid cables (DVI and HDMI)
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10231

14. M4CBOOK macrumors regular

M4CBOOK

15. chelseasian macrumors regular

chelseasian

In getting a mini, which would be a better model? The 1.83 or the 2.0?

I am curious as I think the main purpose of the mini will be as a media center some what. Hence do I even need to "pimp" it up i.e. increase the RAM etc.?