Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvdiva

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
Ordered a 1.42 mini with superdrive not expected until april. Was wondering how it would compare to a 12" 1.33 powerbook with a superdrive. Would the speed difference make a big difference. I'm on a tight budget so a decked out laptop is out of the question.
The mini is around 875 the powerbook is around 1500. Saw a 15" 1.33 for 1700 but it only has a combo drive and 256 ram. The mini has 512 and the powerbook 768. I could get an external buner but it would be a benq 1620 so I have no idea if that would work with a mac or not.
Also I have heard that powerbooks are very expensive to fix. I would take good care of it considering how expensive it is but does apple take care of stuff like that during the first year?

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
dvdiva said:
Ordered a 1.42 mini with superdrive not expected until april. Was wondering how it would compare to a 12" 1.33 powerbook with a superdrive. Would the speed difference make a big difference. I'm on a tight budget so a decked out laptop is out of the question.
The mini is around 875 the powerbook is around 1500. Saw a 15" 1.33 for 1700 but it only has a combo drive and 256 ram. The mini has 512 and the powerbook 768. I could get an external buner but it would be a benq 1620 so I have no idea if that would work with a mac or not.
Also I have heard that powerbooks are very expensive to fix. I would take good care of it considering how expensive it is but does apple take care of stuff like that during the first year?
If you are thinking of a cheap laptop, why exclude the iBooks? Those are probably closer to the mini than the PB 12".

Edit - forgot to add that you "keep" your original RAM in the $999 iBook when you upgrade (a given), so factor that in. And you can get an external 16x DVD burner for under $200.

auxplage

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2004
Virginia Beach
Do you need portability? If yes, then obviously get an iBook (which is more comparable to a Mac Mini) or a Powerbook (could be overkill). What applications are you running (those are always good to list)? :)

dvdiva

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
Might use it with an external monitor. Thought about the Ibook but they seem really due for a refresh and the powerbook has more video ram. Thanks for the help.
Also does patchburn really work for external drives?
Mostly just light stuff. I was wondering if there would be any noticable difference between the 1.42 and 1.33 g4.

ericssonboi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
dvdiva said:
Might use it with an external monitor. Thought about the Ibook but they seem really due for a refresh and the powerbook has more video ram. Thanks for the help.
Also does patchburn really work for external drives?
Mostly just light stuff. I was wondering if there would be any noticable difference between the 1.42 and 1.33 g4.

When your comparing a Powerbook and a Mac Mini.. your comparing two completely different systems..

Mac Mini is about half the price of some of the older Powerbooks that some places still have lying around..

With the Powerbook.. you have the option to move it around, airport extreme, built in bluetooth, keyboard, trackpad.. the list goes on..

With the Mac Mini... its basicly a desktop computer where you have to build to suit your needs...

It all depends on what you use it for..

ldburroughs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
In your original post you mentioned price was a concern. If that is still true the the PowerBook should not even be a consideration. It is double the price of the Mac Mini you are looking into purchasing. If, however, the price of the PowerBook does not scare you away then I say buy the PowerBook. The speed difference will not really be noticed and you'll get a better graphics card with the PowerBook ... not to mention a keyboard and monitor:)

Also, you excluded the iBook because you say it is due for an update but quite honestly it was updated last November. It is on par with the Mac Mini you are looking at with the exception of the processor speed. It is only a bit more that the Mac Mini you want to purchase as well. It too comes with the keyboard and monitor so that is what the extra money goes to in this case. In the end you can pick up and iBook for under a $1,000 with a student discount and even less if you are willing to buy one refurbished or barely used. I picked up a 12" iBook, threw in a SuperDrive and 80 GB 5400 rpm hard drive, and did it for less than $1,000.

In the end you have to rethink what you mean by "on a budget" because there is a significant difference between $800 and $1,600. If you budget warrants spending $1,600 then by all means ... buy the PowerBook. It too is up for some sort of refresh. Then again, you can say that for just about everything in this industry. If you wait for refreshing you will never buy anything. If you want to buy new and are concerned with getting the latest OS you will probably want to wait for Tiger too:) All this waiting is making me want to go out and buy a PowerBook to hold me over until the next update ;)

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
ldburroughs said:
I picked up a 12" iBook, threw in a SuperDrive and 80 GB 5400 rpm hard drive, and did it for less than $1,000.

You "threw" a superdrive in a 12" ibook? Seriously? I know Apple won't put a superdrive in a 12"-- will someone else? Please provide details-- thanks!

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
Thanks JE93-- now I'm wondering how that poster "picked up a 12" iBook, threw in a SuperDrive and 80 GB 5400 rpm hard drive, and did it for less than $1,000," considering that the superdrive upgrade you list is $200 and that the hard drive upgrade is $125. Thats a heck of an education discount-- must've been on a G3 ibook. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.