Mac Mini or Imac server?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by CaptainCaveMann, Aug 6, 2008.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I want to set up a server to use while I'm out and about. I have a mac laptop and would like to be able to save files etc. to my home server. How do I set this up? What programs do I need both on my laptop and home computer? I'm thinking of either getting the imac or the mac mini to use as a server. Thanks for any and all help! :)

Just to be clear, I want to be able to access my files on the server even if I were on the other side of the country. I don't want to be limited to being on the same network. Is this possible?

Also, if I use the mini only as a server, do I even need to hook up a keyboard and monitor to it? Or can I just access the entire mini's UI on my apple portable?

2. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

You can use a mini headless (no monitor or anything), which is a nice advantage. If you were to use it as a file server, you could use a number of methods, not just needing it to be a mac.

For any OS:
    Go to DynDNS.org and get a domain for it so you don't have to write down your IP every day.
    Install a DynDNS application from the website to update the domain.

For a Mac:
    Go to Settings>Sharing and turn on WebServer and Desktop Sharing. Also open these up in your firewall. If you see the option turn on SSH as well. It's remote connection or something (Not on my mac. I can offer more detailed instruction later).

With this enabled you can connect to your computers new Domain via the website you host, another computer with a VNC client to see the screen and change things on it, or connect with SFTP using something like Fugu on your other Mac to put up files to it.

That's the simplest solution. :D

EDIT: Just remember whenever you do this you need a STRONG PASSWORD. You are opening it up so you can access your computer from anywhere in the world, but so can anyone in the world. So keep your passwords strong and don't post your domain around for people to stumble on easier. To be safe, you will want to keep different user accounts for sensitive information. Probably a user that doesn't have remote access enabled so it will be safe.