Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
My parent's PC died and my mom agreed to buy a mac because my dad was pouring in so much money on keeping that PC alive. So I'm wondering what would be best for them, an iMac or a Mac Mini?

My sister uses the computer for games and sometimes homework. My dad uses it for email and research and my mom uses it for shopping and research. I don't use it unless I'm demonstrating or fixing.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I don't use it unless I'm demonstrating or fixing.
lol Cute.

On that note, I would say that the mini sounds like it will suit their needs, but I don't know what games you're speaking of. The next suggestion would be the 20" iMac. I think that may just last them a bit longer anyway.

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
lol Cute.

On that note, I would say that the mini sounds like it will suit their needs, but I don't know what games you're speaking of. The next suggestion would be the 20" iMac. I think that may just last them a bit longer anyway.

By games I mean things like Disney.com and Nickelodeon.com.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I'd say iMac.

It's better than the mini from every aspect IMO. Cheaper in terms of what you get, neater, faster, looks nicer, will last longer.

The MacMini will suit their needs though, so if you can't stretch for a 17" or 20" iMac, the MacMini is still a good computer...

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I would get the nice 17" iMac, or the base 20". Avoid the Mac Mini at this stage, it is very outdated in almost every aspect. Perhaps the next generation (if it ever comes...) will be nicer.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
Although the mini would suit their needs, it's generally a rip off. Depending on the budget, I'd talk 'em into a refurb iMac (such as the 17" C2D for $1049), which will be the best bang for their buck.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Well, the new mini's are a rip-off right now, but there are some really good deals in the refurb store on them. The 1.66ghz w/ SD and 80gb HDD are $649 which is a pretty good price. If you don't need a DVD burner, the 1.66ghz with CD and 60gb are $519, which is a lot of machine for the money.

Since the mini will definitely be enough computer for what you are describing, it really comes down to, in my opinion, whether they have a monitor that is worth keeping. If they have a nice display already then the mini (at refurb prices) makes sense. If not the iMac is a great option for that kind of use.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
If you already have a nice monitor buy a mini. If the current monitor needs to be replaced the iMac is a better deal.

If you do buy the Mini buy a new Apple keyboard. It will make life easy for a new Mac user to have the Apple keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.