Mac Mini or iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aditghai, Dec 25, 2007.

1. aditghai macrumors regular

aditghai

Hi
    I have been a long time windows user and finally decided to make the switch.
    I am in kind of a dilemma about what machine to buy.
    I dont have a Monitor, keyboard or mouse, so i would have to buy one seprately.

If i buy a mini, a samsung 20 inch monitor, a apple keyboard and a mouse, it will cost me somewhere around $1100(after student discounts etc).

On the other hand, if i buy an iMac it will cost me $1149.

What do you guys recommend?

2. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

I would suggest waiting till Macworld...there have been rumors that the Mac Mini might be updated.

3. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

iMac is far better than a mini. If you compare those two value/price I think you answered your own question.

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

iMac

I didn't have the screen, and I bought an Apple one and a Mac Mini. Their nice, and it gives me more choose in the future...I can get a laptop, and use it as a desktop replacement, or a new Mac Mini more often...but the iMac is a better value for now.

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

For most people, the iMac would be the route to go. But if you intended purposes required a non-glossy screen and/or S-IPS display (the 20" iMac is glossy TN panel), then the Mini would be the route to go (max RAM and buy external FW drive with 500 gigs or more). Of course, you can also buy a second display for the iMac for the S-IPS/non-glossy panel.

6. Paulius macrumors newbie

Paulius

It all depends on what you're going to use your computer for. The Mac mini has essentially two fundamental weak points:

1. The graphics card
    If you're planning to do gaming, forget the Mac mini. The iMac is able to play most of today's latest games with reasonable settings while the Mac mini can't play most of today's titles. The graphical interface is smoother on the iMac because of it's superior graphics processing power. OS X is very dependant on the graphics card, which provides the smooth interface with these neat effects and features.

2. The hard disk drive
    This one bothers me a little. Apple decided to use a laptop hard disk drive on the Mac mini to keep it small. The problem with laptop hard drives are that they're slow, don't have much capacity and are more expensive than desktop drives. The iMac uses a normal desktop hard drive, so things such as bootup and loading times are faster on the iMac than the Mac mini. Now, you could, of course get an external hard drive for your Mac mini to upgrade it's capacity.

In conclusion, if you have the money, I'd highly suggest going for the iMac. Other than that, the Mini is a good starter machine if you plan to replace it in a year or so.

7. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

If you have the money, I would go for the iMac. I think in the long run you'd be much more satisfied with your purchase.

8. termina3 macrumors 65816

9. o-mores macrumors newbie

o-mores

Mac Mini is some how portable. You can take it with you and use it with a projector, LCD TV... And if every $ counts, you can use regular USB keyboard and mouse with Mac Mini.

But an iMac it's more powerful and trust me... you'll love it!