Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RCGMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
So I am looking for a desktop to replace my Macbook and am looking at the high-end Mac Mini and the entry-level iMac. I have a monitor and a wireless mouse and keyboard I would use for the Mini. My gf uses Second Life, will the 9400M be powerful enough for Second Life? How much more powerful would the 4650 GPU than the 9400M? Is the iMac worth the additional $400 to $700?

RCGMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Any guidence of comments regarding purchasing an iMac or a Mini? I would like to make a purchase soon.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
If you're not going for the better graphics processor, there's no performance difference between the high end mini or entry level iMac - only difference is the iMac has a screen (and keyboard and mouse)

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I love my 21' iMac as I can even move it to another room for the day and it only requires you plug it in for power. Wireless printing is great and the iMac is just a "neater" package!;)

RCGMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Just checked the system requirements on the site and it looks like it would work just fine on the high end mini.

http://secondlife.com/support/system-requirements/

I will download the trial tonight and try it on my mac mini and let you know.

Thanks! My gf uses our Macbook right now for SL and to be honest SL is VERY hard on the Macbook. I have an older MB with the GMA 950 for graphics. SL makes the MB run very hot and causes kernel panics quite often. It is the only time my MB crashes. I am thinking a new Mini would be light years ahead of my MB.

If you're not going for the better graphics processor, there's no performance difference between the high end mini or entry level iMac - only difference is the iMac has a screen (and keyboard and mouse)

Is the mid level iMac worth the extra $700 in your opinion?

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Let's compare the entry-level iMac and the high-end Mac Mini you are referring to:

(iMac specs on the left, Mac Mini on the right)
Processor: 3.06 GHz vs. 2.53 GHz
Graphics: Both have the 9400m
HDD: 500GB 7200RPM vs. 320GB 5400 RPM
RAM: Both have 4 GB of RAM
Price: $1199 vs. $799

The iMac comes with a 21.5" screen, wireless mouse and wireless keyboard.

In terms of graphics performance, if you pay 300 more bucks for the high end 21.5", you will be getting four times better graphics performance than the 9400m and twice as much hard drive space then the entry level 21.5" iMac.

Keeping all of this in mind, both of these machines are just about ready for a refresh with updated specs, so plan accordingly.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
So I am looking for a desktop to replace my Macbook and am looking at the high-end Mac Mini and the entry-level iMac. I have a monitor and a wireless mouse and keyboard I would use for the Mini. My gf uses Second Life, will the 9400M be powerful enough for Second Life? How much more powerful would the 4650 GPU than the 9400M? Is the iMac worth the additional $400 to $700?

I don't know much about Second Life, but my mini plays WoW at Ultra settings.

msjones

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Its running pretty damn good with some tweaking at my native resolution (1600x900)

If you can B.Y.O. accessories then get the mini. Mine is just the entry level upgraded and SL runs fine.

RCGMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Its running pretty damn good with some tweaking at my native resolution (1600x900)

If you can B.Y.O. accessories then get the mini. Mine is just the entry level upgraded and SL runs fine.

Thanks for looking into this for me. I have a flat panel monitor that has been sititng in a closet since I graduated college. I would like to use it, so I am thinking the high-end mini is the best value with double the RAM and a larger HD. If I was going to go with an iMac it would be the high-end 21.5" one, but I am not sure it is worth a $700 increase over the Mini.

msjones

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Thanks for looking into this for me. I have a flat panel monitor that has been sititng in a closet since I graduated college. I would like to use it, so I am thinking the high-end mini is the best value with double the RAM and a larger HD. If I was going to go with an iMac it would be the high-end 21.5" one, but I am not sure it is worth a $700 increase over the Mini.

Ive not actually come across anything that doesnt run well (sometimes with tweaking) on my low end mini. Stick with the mini, cheap and powerfull.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.