Mac Mini or iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AdamN, Jun 21, 2010.

1. AdamN macrumors newbie

I need to get a new machine for work by Wednesday. I have:

2008 Mac Mini (definitely being repurposed to TV)
    Viewsonic 22" monitor (VP2250wb works fine)
    Keyboard (works fine)
    Mouse (definitely replacing with Magic Mouse)

Should I buy an iMac or Mac Mini and another Viewsonic ($299). Money isn't really an issue although I am not a wasteful person so I don't want to get upgrades just because I can. I also don't know if I really want the 27" behemoth so I'll probably just get the 21.5" unless somebody makes a great case.

My primary issue is that the ATI cards on the iMac seem to be at the end of their life as opposed to the Nvidia 320M card on the Mac Mini which has hardware acceleration available and appears to be the future in terms of driver development.

My primary workload is web software development. I don't need the fastest machine in the world (i.e. no video/photo work) but I don't want to wait for stuff either.

P.S. - After looking at the iMac's I see that 8GB is only $200. Should I actually consider that?

2. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

Mac Mini iMac

I have been recently debating the same thing.
    I was thinking about getting the new Mac Mini $699 not bad right? Nope.
    But I would have liked to get the keyboard mouse and iWork.
    Well once you put that all together its $939 bucks. Yep.
    So I decided to save up for the iMac since I get the keyboard and mouse. And its only a few hundred more.
    Now since you have a monitor and what not I'd say just get the mini. But the iMac is the best Mac for the money and I think others will agree.
    And if your a student you can get a free iPod touch with the purchase of a iMac the mac mini however does not qualify.
    There's my two cents :apple:

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Get iMac, you don't need GPU power and iMac has faster CPU and more RAM etc. The display is great and Mini isn't much, if at all cheaper when you add all peripherals

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Another option to consider.

A 21.5 inch iMac and then connect an external display.

5. mags631 Guest

I love my iMac, but the new mini is hot. I'd say mini. It's more versatile than a iMac and it's 1.4" tall... 1.4"!

6. AdamN thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll definitely want a 2 monitor setup in the end - I guess I should have made that clearer.

7. EasyJW macrumors member

definately the iMac, so much more powerful for not much more in cost, plus you get your keyboard mouse and monitor (adding you 22" viewsonic to it to have 2) [​IMG] with the 8gb of ram, i advise it, but not through apple. I say do it yourself

8. appleusapromac macrumors newbie

If money isn't an issue then go for the iMac . It's better in every way :) .