Mac Mini or MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ranny2, Jun 27, 2011.

1. ranny2 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi.
    I am soon going on a trip to the US, and saw it as a perfect opportunity to buy some cheaper Apple products. I have been after a Mac for a while and I think I might buy one while I am in the States.

Because I am travelling, the box must be relatively small so this eliminates the chance of an iMac.

The Mac would be for desk use only, as I have an iPad 2 for my mobile device.

Here are my two options:

1. MacBook Pro 13" base model
    This is the more expensive option.

2. Mac Mini (the new one when it comes out. By the time I go on my trip, I am sure the new model will be released. I hope for it to have i5, 4Gb of RAM.)
    This will be the cheaper option.

Please can you advise on which to go for.

Thanks.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you're not going to move it, the mini would be better (assuming the update is decent). Even if it is short on RAM, it's a pretty easy upgrade, and RAM prices are good at the moment.

3. fungus macrumors regular

fungus

If you already have a keyboard, mouse & display, I think a mini + iPad is a great combo.

4. The-Pro macrumors 65816

i agree, however if you dont have a keyboard, mouse and display, then you could consider the MBP, as the mini and the three components above will equal the price of the MBP!

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

it really depends on "the update," because the current mac mini isn't really worth it imo.

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I'd definitely go for the MacBook Pro. In terms of performance they would be virtually the same; however with the laptop you have the ability to move it and use it in a different location.

If you prefer to use it at a desk, you can simply buy a monitor and connect it, giving you the option to have two screens instead of one; you would also be able to buy any sized screen you like.