Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gturban

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
What is the faster machine? A mac mini or a MacBook pro. I have previously noticed that laptops with same spec as a desktop will be slower. So I'm just wondering if a mac mini will be faster than a MacBook Pro?

Thanks
GT

gturban

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
Thanks

Thanks for answers!
Is there any difference in the cooling efficiency? The laptop I have now runs quite hot, but I have been told that SSHD are much better when it comes to heat, so will probably get that for the new machine.
Thanks
GT

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
California
Thanks for answers!
Is there any difference in the cooling efficiency? The laptop I have now runs quite hot, but I have been told that SSHD are much better when it comes to heat, so will probably get that for the new machine.
Thanks
GT

I don't know about the Macbook Pro, but my Mac Mini is silent and cool. Do you mean Solid State Drives? Yes, they do generate less heat because there is no spinning parts.

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
I don't know about the Macbook Pro, but my Mac Mini is silent and cool. Do you mean Solid State Drives? Yes, they do generate less heat because there is no spinning parts.

hows the mac mini with flash, video, and photoshop (if you use it)
i guess im comparing it with my whitebook and how the fans always go on

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Thanks for answers!
Thanks
GT

Mini has desktop cooling with laptop parts. It should never get "hot".

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
mac mini is better
i bought a laptop and it gets hot and its just not as durable as a desktop
fans will kick in after watching 10 min of flash video(or anything flash probably),

Only buy laptop if you move around a lot, in college, work, coffee shops and more. If you mainly work from your desktop then no use, specially now that the iPad will be out for browsing is good so mac mini+ipad= $1100 that is about just $100 more than the cheapest apple laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.