Mac Mini or Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by JWalker1995, Mar 5, 2011.

1. JWalker1995 macrumors regular

Hi, Im a collage student who is taking the plunge and buying a mac in the summer when i get the money. By then i will already own an iPad 2 so the portability doesn't really bother me. But was looking for a good computer to have for things that aren't that great on the iPad (i.e. essay writing). I don't own any other the things expected to be with a mac mini (keyboard, mouse).

Anybody owned both and have a preference or can recommend either a mac mini or macbook. :):)

2. suckatcomputers macrumors regular

Any heavy usage you will be doing? If it's mostly essay writing the MB or the MBP is good, but the MBAir might be a better fit with light usage.

Since you say the ipad solves portability issues, maybe you should go with the Mac Mini. Since you don't have a monitor, keyboard... iMac?

If you are a procrastinator like I was in college, it's nice to write those 100 page essays sitting on a couch or bed with a laptop though.

Mac mini's seem most useful to people who hook it up to their TVs for movies, gaming, etc.

3. Mariusz1977 macrumors member

Mariusz1977

If you're like me & hate the noisy dorms, get a macbook so you can take it to the library to get your work done (and a set of headphones to block out the associated library noise.)

4. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I'd recommend a MBP or MBA too. You don't want to be stuck in your dorm.

5. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

If you're in a dorm for the love of Jobs don't get a Mini. If you live with the parentals or with only yourself, the Mini is great if you already plan on having an iPad.

Though, since you don't have a screen, keyboard, or mouse, it may be better to just fork over the extra cash for an iMac.