Mac Mini or Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by JWalker1995, Mar 5, 2011.

1. JWalker1995 macrumors regular

Mar 5, 2011
    Hi, Im a collage student who is taking the plunge and buying a mac in the summer when i get the money. By then i will already own an iPad 2 so the portability doesn't really bother me. But was looking for a good computer to have for things that aren't that great on the iPad (i.e. essay writing). I don't own any other the things expected to be with a mac mini (keyboard, mouse).

Anybody owned both and have a preference or can recommend either a mac mini or macbook. :):)
  2. suckatcomputers macrumors regular

Feb 23, 2011
    Any heavy usage you will be doing? If it's mostly essay writing the MB or the MBP is good, but the MBAir might be a better fit with light usage.

Since you say the ipad solves portability issues, maybe you should go with the Mac Mini. Since you don't have a monitor, keyboard... iMac?

If you are a procrastinator like I was in college, it's nice to write those 100 page essays sitting on a couch or bed with a laptop though.

Mac mini's seem most useful to people who hook it up to their TVs for movies, gaming, etc.
  3. Mariusz1977 macrumors member

Nov 21, 2008
    If you're like me & hate the noisy dorms, get a macbook so you can take it to the library to get your work done (and a set of headphones to block out the associated library noise.)
  4. DustinT macrumors 68000

Feb 26, 2011
    I'd recommend a MBP or MBA too. You don't want to be stuck in your dorm.
  5. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

Aug 9, 2009
    If you're in a dorm for the love of Jobs don't get a Mini. If you live with the parentals or with only yourself, the Mini is great if you already plan on having an iPad.

Though, since you don't have a screen, keyboard, or mouse, it may be better to just fork over the extra cash for an iMac.