Mac Mini or MacBook?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PowerFullMac, Dec 4, 2007.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Right, as some of you might know, my iBook died (I made a thread about it with pictures and everything, I done everything I could to save him!) and I, seeing as I need a new Mac anyway, have been looking for a replacement. I looked at a PS3 running Linux as a option at first, but found out it was crap, so I then turned to the Mac Mini (as you can tell, im trying to get me a budget system here).

Now, as of Christmas I will have the cash for a Mac Mini, I already have a mouse and I can get a keyboard for about £5 from Tesco and I think my brother has a monitor he can give me (if not how much are LCD monitors anywho?).... BUT! What I really want is a MacBook, so should I just save the extra £300 and get me a MacBook, or get a Mac Mini?

Any help appreciated!

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

You'll get more flexibility and more power out of a Macbook than a Mac mini. The only pain-in-the-butt would be attaching the monitor every time you wanted to sit down at a proper desk to work on the Macbook. Yet the ability to carry your computer around wherever you go will far exceed any minor annoyances like that.

Start Saving! ;)

3. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I will probably never plug it in to a monitor, im used to my iBook screen anyway, which was 12 inches... But I do want the extra CPU power and built-in iSight and portability... Any other views appreciated people...

4. lwcoffer2 macrumors member

lwcoffer2

Yes get the MacBook. I just purchased a refurb 2.0GHz C2D black MacBook for $999 this morning.

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Mini.

6. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

MacBook.

It will only take one trip to your Starbucks were you would have wished you got a laptop. I would say get something you are used to instead of something new (mini) and then regretting it.

7. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Seeing as the upgradeability factor of both are pretty similar, I'd have to say macbook just for the sheer convenience.

8. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Thanks for the help everyone!

Off-topic: anti-microsoft, I like your name!!!

9. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Actually, for most of us it is attaching the DVI, attaching the KBD/Mouse, attaching a USB hub, attaching any firewire devices, and attaching speakers (the MacBook has awful sound). If you run the house wireless like I do (and want the speed), you'll be attaching ethernet too.

It is actually a real pain in the ass, even if you don't attach all of the above. Guaranteed it will be more than the DVI though.

The Mini is an awesome little machine when plumped up with RAM.

10. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Thanks!!:)

11. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Nail meets head.

I sold my MacBook for this being one of the reasons. I now have a Mini and a PowerBook. PowerBook is just a portable workhorse, the Mac Mini is my main computer. 2GB RAM and 160GB internal - pretty sweet!

12. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Well I know I wont connect any DVI (the MacBook has a screen dosent it?), no keyboard and mouse (once again, the MacBook has these built in, unless Apple have really started cutting down...), I wont need a USB hub, I dont have any firewire devices, I have speakers I can use which I just plug in the headphone socket... not that hard, if I need internet i'll use WiFi...

So I think its safe to say that point dosent really mean anything to me, so I will be saving for my MacBook, thanks for the help guys!